Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    We're waiting for your patch.
    I am not allowed to submit it, because I didn't click "accept" on the license agreement. (I want my open source code and anything based on it to *stay* open source.)

In the meantime, there are hundreds of millions of systems where Qt runs right now which are more important than dubious functionality on a yet-to-be-released experimental display server.
    Actually the comment was an answer to: "Currently no and hopefully it never will."

Hopefully it never will? Is that your view point as well? If yes, why did you ask for a patch? You would simply reject it in that case, no?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Does Microsoft Windows use client-side decorations?
      Which version?
      Vista with Aero, I guess. Many programs are able to display their own stuff alongside the decorations. Firefox for example. Look at the "Nightly" button at the top left; it's embedded within the title bar:

Linux WMs can't do that.

PS:
      Unless this isn't what "client-side decorations" actually means :-P

Comment

I like that when an application freezes I can still click on the close button, and a few seconds later xfwm asks me if I want to kill it. Wouldn?t client-side decorations prevent such a feature?

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
          I like that when an application freezes I can still click on the close button, and a few seconds later xfwm asks me if I want to kill it. Wouldn’t client-side decorations prevent such a feature?
          This has been talked about by the Wayland devs a long time ago, I don't know what's the current status, but they basically devised that Weston (the compositor) is responsible for treating hung up apps, the details should be in the source code and on the mailing list (google), can't find those discussions, but Kristian Hogsberg said at the time he knows the solution, but didn't implement it cause he had to finish the core stuff first.

It would be good if someone posts this question on the Wayland mailing list, or examines the source code.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            This has been talked about by the Wayland devs a long time ago, I don't know what's the current status, but they basically devised that Weston (the compositor) is responsible for treating hung up apps, the details should be in the source code and on the mailing list (google), can't find those discussions, but Kristian Hogsberg said at the time he knows the solution, but didn't implement it cause he had to finish the core stuff first.

It would be good if someone posts this question on the Wayland mailing list, or examines the source code.
            Well it basically just boiled down to the client announcing a rect denoting the position of it's "close" button,
            and whenever weston detects a click there it sends a ping request. If it isn't pong within reasonable time,
            it will assume the app is hung, and possibly ask the user if he wants to force quit (that's how I understood it).

Although you probably knew that already...

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              If Wayland works that way, it should be supported. Period. If you don't like it, don't use Wayland.
              Of course I don't use Wayland. It's currently not usable at all. I may use Wayland in the future but until then nothing is set in stone.

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              Vista with Aero, I guess. Many programs are able to display their own stuff alongside the decorations. Firefox for example. Look at the "Nightly" button at the top left; it's embedded within the title bar:

Linux WMs can't do that.
              Sure they can. That is one possible use case for dbus-menu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1bm7Q6_SH4 But applications still don't handle the window decorations on their own. Why should a GTK app have a different title bar than a Qt application? Why should a media player have a different title bar than a web browser? Why should one application decide that the window close button is on the right side of the title bar, while another application decides that the left side is better?
              I like that I can do whatever I want with title bars and its window buttons and all applications conform to KWin's central decoration config.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                Does QT 5 support window decorations under Wayland?
                Actually, the qtwayland plugin does support really minimal client side window decorations on Wayland right now. They aren't clickable, or interactive yet... (but I did notice an intereting recent commit... )

Comment

[QUOTE=Awesomeness;284388]Sure they can. That is one possible use case for dbus-menu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1bm7Q6_SH4
                  I don't see how this is the same. It's not. On Windows you have your own button, complete with control over the graphics and layout.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Does Microsoft Windows use client-side decorations?
                    Which version?
                    ... since windows 98.

ciao nub

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                      But applications still don't handle the window decorations on their own. Why should a GTK app have a different title bar than a Qt application? Why should a media player have a different title bar than a web browser? Why should one application decide that the window close button is on the right side of the title bar, while another application decides that the left side is better?
                      I like that I can do whatever I want with title bars and its window buttons and all applications conform to KWin's central decoration config.
                      Well then you probably shouldn't also ever bother about using Wayland, as this design decision will not change =)

Why should applications trick me into thinking they look the same with same titlebars, when their window is rendered completely differently from each other (Qt, GTK, EFL)?
                      Why should each use different schemes for "yes" "no", "apply" "cancel" buttons?
                      Why should every application use their own font rendering system? Their own drawing primitives?
                      Having similar titlebars isn't really going to make the actual content look much more similar. If at all, it only makes it look even more out of place.

Comment

Working...
                      X