Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ALSA: Audio Compression Offloading, Power Savings

Phoronix: ALSA: Audio Compression Offloading, Power Savings

Besides lots of graphics talks at the GStreamer 2012 Conference, the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA) was talked about with a status report and mentions of some features soon to be landing in future Linux kernel releases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does?

Does PulseAudio do bit-perfect playback?
    How do I do I set it up to do so?

Does PulseAudio support THX, Dolby, DTS, SRS, DLNA, surround, virtual surround, etc and all those fancy logos on audio equipment which I have no idea what they mean?

Does PulseAudio support playing music at different volume on different speakers, and different songs (output streams) to different speakers in different rooms like Sonos multi-room music system?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Does PulseAudio support THX, Dolby, DTS, SRS, DLNA, surround, virtual surround, etc and all those fancy logos on audio equipment which I have no idea what they mean?

Does PulseAudio support playing music at different volume on different speakers, and different songs (output streams) to different speakers in different rooms like Sonos multi-room music system?
      Who are you talking to?

Comment

those are good questions but im not really sure, we need an audio guru

Comment

Originally posted by bluestealth View Post
          Who are you talking to?
          Nobody in particular.
          I was just asking the questions plain out so anyone who knows can feel free to answer.

Comment

As for half of those logos you mentioned, they're either just company names or aren't directly relevant to your sound card. ALSA does support surround sound, but my #1 gripe about ALSA is it's a royal pain in the ass to get surround sound and channel redicting working properly. No matter what guide I follow, something goes wrong. They're not that hard to follow, they just don't work. This is mostly because the way you configure .asoundrc files gets outdated and nobody updates their tutorials. If you want a quick easy way to mux multiple channels, go with PA, it does a pretty good job at that IMO and is the only compelling reason to use PA over ALSA. Even if setting up surround sound in ALSA worked as advertised, PA's CLI methods for setting up surround sound are still easier.

I'm currently an ALSA user and pretty much always have been. I do have surround sound but I rarely ever need it in linux so I don't care so much that it doesn't work for me.

Ranting aside, playing music at different volumes on different speakers is generally achieved by a sound server like PA, but you could also just run 2 instances of a program and tell each to redirect the sound to w/e speakers you want it to play on. Pretty much the point of ALSA is to just get your hardware functioning. You use a sound server to do the fancy stuff.

Comment

Does PulseAudio support THX

THX is a brand.
              Dolby
              also a brand

DTS
              AFAIK: Yes, you can do DTS passthrough.

SRS
              You mean the audio processing stuff that makes your music sound terrible? No, but it is often done on the stereo receiver anyway.

DLNA
              There is no reason a sound server would even consider supporting DLNA. If you want to access a DLNA server use XBMC.

surround
              Yes, PA can do more than 2 channels.

virtual surround
              Yes, it can also upmix to more than 2 channels.

etc and all those fancy logos on audio equipment which I have no idea what they mean?
              If you don't know what they are why do you care. Also, most of those are only needed by the thing that has the stickers on them.

Actually, yes. There is a guide on the Arch wiki on how to seperate the headphone jack on the front of the computer from the speaker jack on the back so that you can move streams between them and put different stuff on them. Quite convenient.

Also, this thread is about ALSA, why are you asking about PA features?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Phoronix: ALSA: Audio Compression Offloading, Power Savings

Besides lots of graphics talks at the GStreamer 2012 Conference, the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA) was talked about with a status report and mentions of some features soon to be landing in future Linux kernel releases...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE3MTQ
                Hmm, if these things happen it duplicates it good bit of the things PA does (wall timestamps, output redirection (just jack for the time being, but that was, and in particular, one of the advantages PA brought)). I wonder if this includes that pll/dll work that was mentioned in another thread(admittedly that is driver, and rather than ALSA, specific).

Comment

I believe PA resamples everything to a predefined samplerate (see /etc/pulse/daemon.conf), so if your source material does not have the same samplerate, it is by design not bit-perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by thofke View Post
                    I believe PA resamples everything to a predefined samplerate (see /etc/pulse/daemon.conf), so if your source material does not have the same samplerate, it is by design not bit-perfect.
                    The SoundBlaster Live! resampled everything internally to 48 kHz.
                    People were pissed.

Now when PulseAudio does it, its okay?

Comment

Working...
                    X