Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Finds Value In Open-Source Drivers; L4D2 Running On Mesa

Phoronix: Valve Finds Value In Open-Source Drivers; L4D2 Running On Mesa

Valve Software has found value in having open-source graphics drivers, continues to collaborate with Intel over Linux OpenGL support, and they now have Left 4 Dead 2 running on Mesa.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Congratulations to Intel's open source developers

That's an amazing work done by the Intel open source team.
    The collaboration with Valves is starting to pay, keep up the good work guys !

Comment

Can't wait for Steam for Linux!
      I hope we get awesome performance with Intel, NVIDIA and AMD GPUs

I'm going to play my games a lot more: using WINE and booting to Windows is such a pain in the ***

Comment

Sharing the source code enhances the software? No shit, Sherlock!

Too bad, that Intel hardware (on the graphics side) isn't usable for anything recent (min graphics with playable FPS isn't quite what gamers want).

Anyway, good job

Comment

Wow did not expect to see this.

Very nice! L4D2 running natively on pure open source drivers? Impressive. Of course who knows what will happen with the ATI and Nouveau camps but, at least the Intel side of it (quite common chipset) is being taken care of.

Also interesting the guy was running Gnome-Shell. Not sure why it's interesting, but it caught my eye.

Comment

Originally posted by alexThunder View Post

Too bad, that Intel hardware (on the graphics side) isn't usable for anything recent (min graphics with playable FPS isn't quite what gamers want).

Anyway, good job

What do you mean?

Intel HD 4000 is fast. 16cores*4shaders64bit or 8shaders32bit*FMAC*1.25ghz = 170gflops64bit(nvidia comparison) or 340gflops32bit(AMD comparison) or 500macGflops(AMD 6000 and less without FMAC).

A game with the latest technology, wants only 50gflops for the high-quality-renderer with lower-settings(low 720p).

Comment

Originally posted by alexThunder View Post

Anyway, good job
              -Edit-I made a surprisingly quick video with the Intel HD 4000, Ultra settings. It failed so it's quick:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVvthxIt_6MComparison?...

Comment

TFA is not clear whether those bugs (context creation etc) were in L4D2 or intel driver

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
                  What do you mean?
                  not sure what he means but if I look at my windows machines, intel gfx cards are nice on laptops and such but I never took any gaming PC serious which has/had intel gfx cards. Maybe that will change for Linux, who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Xilanaz View Post
                    not sure what he means but if I look at my windows machines, intel gfx cards are nice on laptops and such but I never took any gaming PC serious which has/had intel gfx cards. Maybe that will change for Linux, who knows.
                    In the description of that video a further video is linked: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVvthxIt_6M

Games may work on Intel graphics, but you won't get an enjoyable experience.

Right now I got an AMD/AMD System. As soon I can run any games at high (or even max) settings with ~60FPS with Intel graphics, I'll switch (except AMDs open source drivers get usable for high end games).

Comment

Working...
                    X