No announcement yet.

Radeon NI 6450 engine/memory clocking??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon NI 6450 engine/memory clocking??

Just picked up a nice little fanless radeon 6450 for my wife's dual monitor desktop to replace the noisy 3650 that I just smoked trying to silence.
    It doesn't seem to respond to power profiles as expected;

I'm getting this;

Code:
    # cat /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_method
    # echo "high" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile
    # cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/radeon_pm_info 
    default engine clock: 625000 kHz
    current engine clock: 624930 kHz
    default memory clock: 667000 kHz
    current memory clock: 666560 kHz
    voltage: 1000 mV
    # echo "low" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile
    # cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/radeon_pm_info 
    default engine clock: 625000 kHz
    current engine clock: 624930 kHz
    default memory clock: 667000 kHz
    current memory clock: 666560 kHz
    voltage: 1000 mV
    Now I know that dynpm doesn't work with dual head, which is one of the reasons I'm leaving it to default and using profile.
    What confuses me is that http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/ claims "Power management is supported on all asics (r1xx-evergreen) that include the appropriate power state tables in the vbios; not all boards do (especially older desktop cards).", -- which may be either out of date or may imply that NI isn't fully supported, but it also claims (in the matrix) that engine/memory reclocking and voltage adjustment are "done" for radeon NI.....

So why doesn't it scale?
    I'd like to get those frequencies and voltages down a little, and hopefully the temperature with it. Its sitting in the 60-65 deg C range when heat soaked. Not dangerous by any means, but it would be nice if it could be a little cooler.

Kernel is 3.5.1, Fedora 17.

Thanks.

Seems you have same values for all states so only solution is to switch to fglrx or just change to another one which have proper support. Have same problem and after report to bugzilla a year ago nothing changed. Even AMD employees say that only solution is to switch to fglrx by now.

Comment

Originally posted by sstp View Post
      Seems you have same values for all states so only solution is to switch to fglrx or just change to another one which have proper support. Have same problem and after report to bugzilla a year ago nothing changed. Even AMD employees say that only solution is to switch to fglrx by now.
      That's like solving a runny nose by cutting your face off.
      ---------------------------------------------------------

Alex? John? You guys around here any more?

Comment

Working...
      X