Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Wayland 1.0 Coming "In A Month Or Two"

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,048

    Default Wayland architecture

    So how does Wayland compare to rio (Plan 9 from Bell Labs), Quartz (OS X), Aero/DWM (Windows) ?

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    SuperUserLand
    Posts
    538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by garegin View Post
    usually in a mac vm. to rub the salt in the wound that the linux desktop is 20 years of fail.
    There are no BLACK mac laptops you fokin troll


    btw what's with all the hate towards phoronix, let the guy autopromote himself all he wants... those mac retinas aren't gonna pay for themselves you know

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pallidus View Post
    There are no BLACK mac laptops you fokin troll
    You are wrong

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    278

    Default

    It's a Lenovo thinkpad running Weston with the DRM backend, on native Linux.

    I'm sending this from a MacBook Air running Debian, again native and not under OS X at all. It runs either X11 or the Weston DRM backend.

    Christ.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daniels View Post
    It's a Lenovo thinkpad running Weston with the DRM backend, on native Linux.

    I'm sending this from a MacBook Air running Debian, again native and not under OS X at all. It runs either X11 or the Weston DRM backend.

    Christ.
    Writing Linux related code/apps on Mac OS X decreases the quality of code by 68.7%. Fact. And i have numbers to prove it.


    On a serious note is there anything in wayland that prevents the porting of full DEs on it??

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    On a serious note is there anything in wayland that prevents the porting of full DEs on it??
    I do not believe so. Most DE's have their own compositor, so they will either need to port the DE to use Weston, or port their X11 compositor to Wayland.

    The DE wars appear to have taken such a toll on the FOSS ecosystem that I honestly cannot anticipate what will come of all of this.

    F

  7. #17
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    Writing Linux related code/apps on Mac OS X decreases the quality of code by 68.7%. Fact. And i have numbers to prove it.


    On a serious note is there anything in wayland that prevents the porting of full DEs on it??
    Some GTK 3 apps run natively, (some segfault because they have some x11 stuff coded in the app)

    I was also able to get the KDELIBS frameworks samples to work on qt5 with the native Wayland backend (on the livecd) but I'm sure once I figure out how, I could complie kde-baseapps

    ...I think the biggest issue right now is I don't think all window managment features exist in Wayland/weston right now...

    EDIT: well the universal wlshm "driver" for the nested xwayland server could use some work, it's why xwayland apps appear glitchy
    Last edited by nerdopolis; 08-29-2012 at 03:20 PM.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nerdopolis View Post
    ...I think the biggest issue right now is I don't think all window managment features exist in Wayland/weston right now...
    Elaborate.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    Elaborate.


    I think things like raising/lowering keepabove/keepbehind and like focus prevention...

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    Hell's gates will open in about 2 months I guess...Knowing Canonical we can expect Ubuntu 13.04 jump on wayland and make it mandatory and probably since 12.10 is coming in about 2 months we can expect even 12.10 to run wayland with about 2 hours of testing from the team.... A sad day indeed it will be, oh God of Wayland have mercy on us, the ones that don't want to reboot after an upgrade and stare into the black abyss of the terminal screen because of incompatible drivers and bugs!
    Nono, you got it wrong, Ubuntu will remove terminals too in favor of Wayland. So if wayland fails, you don't get a text console even.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •