Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland 1.0 Coming "In A Month Or Two"

Phoronix: Wayland 1.0 Coming "In A Month Or Two"

Kristian H?gsberg just finished speaking at this year's GStreamer Conference behind held in San Diego, California. Kristian was talking about the forthcoming Wayland 1.0 release and Wayland's hardware-accelerated video playback support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Phoronix - 99% links to itself.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post

Agree It's very annoying

Comment

Anyone else notice Kristian is actually using Wayland to give the presentation?

Comment

usually in a mac vm. to rub the salt in the wound that the linux desktop is 20 years of fail.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            More than that... I love his "first to publicly mention the project" line. Really - the project was a complete secret before Phoronix discovered it, never spoken of by the developers?

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
              More than that... I love his "first to publicly mention the project" line. Really - the project was a complete secret before Phoronix discovered it, never spoken of by the developers?
              I'll be honest with you, I've used Linux for years, and I never heard of Wayland until it was mentioned on Phoronix. In fact, there have been many interesting projects, Linux news and more that I first heard about on Phoronix (ie. the Kernel power bugs, etc). I don't have time to trawl through hundreds of private e-mail lists and read thousands of messages. I'm grateful that Phoronix does the dirty work for me, and lets me just read the interesting bits.

Comment

@ asdx. if you relax for a minute you'll see that I was not spreading FUD against linux. i was pointing out the embarrassing detail that at these presentations many of the people run the demo in a vm on mac. like the brtfs video. if you want to promote a product you don't run it in a vm on your "enemy's" OS.

Comment

Originally posted by gururise View Post
                  I'll be honest with you, I've used Linux for years, and I never heard of Wayland until it was mentioned on Phoronix. In fact, there have been many interesting projects, Linux news and more that I first heard about on Phoronix (ie. the Kernel power bugs, etc). I don't have time to trawl through hundreds of private e-mail lists and read thousands of messages. I'm grateful that Phoronix does the dirty work for me, and lets me just read the interesting bits.
                  Oh, I won't deny the site has done a lot to publicise Wayland, especially in the early days. But the idea that Michael was the *first* person to publicly mention the project? Claims like that are just silly and annoying...

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                    @ asdx. if you relax for a minute you'll see that I was not spreading FUD against linux. i was pointing out the embarrassing detail that at these presentations many of the people run the demo in a vm on mac. like the brtfs video. if you want to promote a product you don't run it in a vm on your "enemy's" OS.
                    That "Apple has released a nice product which is used by a large number of people in the linux community" is not embarrassing for linux developers. Having a linux supporter feel the need to publicly "pooh-pooh" a linux developer for using a Macbook to give a presentation... That's embarrassing.

It's not about beating Apple/MSFT. It's about delivering something special to the world. We've got phones, network equipment, telecom equipment, stock markets, automated factories, scientific establishments, and a tremendous number of enterprises and productivity users. The world runs linux, and they don't even know it.

SENT FROM MY IPHONE

F

Comment

Working...
                    X