Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TI Shows Off Impressive, Experimental Wayland Demo

Phoronix: TI Shows Off Impressive, Experimental Wayland Demo

Rob Clark of Texas Instruments presented on the second day of this year's GStreamer Conference where he talked about GStreamer for the TI OMAP4, DMA-BUF, DRI2Video, and other low-level Linux multimedia work he's engaged in along with work on TI's OMAP Linux graphics driver. Rob ended up showing off an impressive but experimental demo of video playback work he's doing with Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is is just me, or does the video being played back suffer from tearing?

Comment

I really don't see how this is impressive...

Comment

Originally posted by boot View Post
        Exactly.

A dual core ARM system shouldn't have any issues with 1080p, especially when you consider the raspberry pi can do it just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
          Is is just me, or does the video being played back suffer from tearing?
          Playing a camcorder copy of a video on a screen through a player that probably isn't tear free itself - I think it would be pretty hard to tell. At very least the camcorder's frames wouldn't be synced with the video.

Comment

Originally posted by boot View Post
            Well, you're right, it isn't impressive that a decent ARM can hande 1080p just fine. It's impressive that they have come so far with Wayland, though.

Comment

It's not really ARM which decodes, but special HW. In case of PandaBoard HW decoder is called Ducati.

Comment

I wonder whether I can use Wayland with on the Rasbeery Pi. Is it possible at this point? I've seen a video, but I don't know whether that's Wayland how it is out-of-the-box or maybe a patched one...Are their any special drivers needed to run Wayland on an Rasberry and can I use the regular sources of Wayland and compile it on Arch Linux (ARM) for the Rasberry Pi? Or will this be possible in the future?

Comment

Do I get it right we dont get 1080p video without a 5ghz cpu (I am go over the top here a bit ^^) with intel or amd hardware so there hardware-video-encoding without cpu is closed but we get 3d from them.

And this qualcom arm guys go exectly the other way? 3d is in a closed rotten blob but hardware-video-shit is in the free driver?

Is there not even a change to get gnome-shell 3d without software-crap go running without that blob grap?

Hmm at the moment because there are no real free drivers for arm-grafic chips... I run away from arm as fast as I can... I would rather pay double the price for a amd netbook/notebook/tablet/whatever and have 1/4 the batterie time before I buy such tegra crap or something like that.

But if they get somewhat good gnome-shell working and 3d (all with free drivers logicaly) I maybe buy some ultraflat cheap arm thing thats passive
                  Last edited by blackiwid; 29 August 2012, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
                    Exactly.

A dual core ARM system shouldn't have any issues with 1080p, especially when you consider the raspberry pi can do it just fine.
                    Playing one 1080p clip is not too impressive. (And to be precise, it was actually a 2k clip.) OMAP4430 and up can play two 1080p clips in parallel on bare metal

The challenge comes to integrate the video with the UI. So come back when you have 1080p playback in weston on r-pi ;-)

Comment

Working...
                    X