Thread: Firefox 15 Does Better On WebGL, Debugging, RAM Usage

Hybrid View

Default Firefox 15 Does Better On WebGL, Debugging, RAM Usage

Phoronix: Firefox 15 Does Better On WebGL, Debugging, RAM Usage

Mozilla had officially released Firefox 15.0 this morning with many new features...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE3MDc

I compared Mozilla's BananaBread and UE3 Flash (in Chrome, FF is still slightly slower)

and BB was 2x faster;-)

@curaga
    Do you need *.gif version?

Talking LoL!

Quote Originally Posted by kwahoo View Post
    @curaga
    Do you need *.gif version?
    Good One!!

It seems like every release they say memory usage is improved but I don't see much noticeable change. It's starting to feel meaningless like how every Ubuntu release is said to be faster, smoother, have quicker boot time, feel "snappier".

Quote Originally Posted by Decatf View Post
    It seems like every release they say memory usage is improved but I don't see much noticeable change. It's starting to feel meaningless like how every Ubuntu release is said to be faster, smoother, have quicker boot time, feel "snappier".
    I don't think 15 really reduces memory use under "normal" situations, it just fixes a bunch of memory leaks that were created by a lot of different extensions. So if you used to have problems with Firefox leaking tons of memory over time, this may be the release that fixes it for you. But I don't think there's going to be much further reductions in the baseline memory use.

In fact, I think FF15 is when compartment-per-global landed, so that probably increases the baseline memory use.
    Last edited by smitty3268; 08-28-2012 at 02:47 PM.

I was recently in need for a modern browser on a very lowend machine - P4 with 512Mb. So, I had to compare Fx with Google Chrome/ium. I opened several websites and surfed a little, then let the machine stay for 3 hours. The results were astonishing - Fx-50MiB, Chrome-300MiB (up to crossing the 480MiB boundary total). I know that Chrome has a bit faster Javascript, but in terms of Ram usage Fx is clearly better.

Quote Originally Posted by Decatf View Post
    debunking-a-misconception-about-firefox-releases

i've never noticed a memory issue. this is on a netbook with 2GB, with typically 20-30 tabs in 3-5 windows. I'd be very happy though if they reduced CPU usage when firefox is 'idle'. it tends to sit at a constant 10-20% even when i am not interacting with it (this is without flash installed, noscript blocking some but not all scripts, gifs set to play once).

one new feature that few seem to have noticed is gstreamer support for video tags in html5. this means with the correct gstreamer pluggins firefox can play h264. it has been in firefox since version 14, but is not enabled by default. in gentoo it can be enabled with a USE flag (of course). fedora and ubuntu have bugs open asking to enable it https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=843583 https://bugs.launchpad.net/firefox/+bug/412647