Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8.44 problems in creating debs for debian unstable

Hi all,
    I've just joined the forum, found while searching for posts about the new installer ati 7.12 - 8.443. I'm using Debian Sid which uses Xorg 7.3 and kernel 2.6.23. I had to upgrade the system due to problems concerning the WM. In my previous configuration, Sid was using Xorg 7.2 and kernel 2.6.22. In that system I was able to install fglrx by creating the debs packages from the installer, then installed the module and edited the xorg.conf. The installer 8.40 worked properly.

After the upgrade I used 8.443 installer that should be working fine with X 7.3 and kernel 2.6.23 but fails in creating the debs:

smoke@debian:/video/documents/ATI$ sudo ./ati-driver-installer-8.443.1-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Debian/unstable

dh_installdeb
    LD_PRELOAD= dh_shlibdeps --exclude=emul
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol _XFlush used by debian/fglrx-driver/usr/lib/libfglrx_pp.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XextAddDisplay used by debian/fglrx-driver/usr/lib/libfglrx_pp.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol _XReply used by debian/fglrx-driver/usr/lib/libfglrx_pp.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XextRemoveDisplay used by debian/fglrx-driver/usr/lib/libfglrx_pp.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XextCreateExtension used by debian/fglrx-driver/usr/lib/libfglrx_pp.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XextFindDisplay used by debian/fglrx-driver/usr/lib/libfglrx_pp.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: debian/fglrx-driver/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so shouldn't be linked with libpthread.so.0 (it uses none of its symbols).
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: debian/fglrx-driver/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so shouldn't be linked with librt.so.1 (it uses none of its symbols).
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: debian/fglrx-driver/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so shouldn't be linked with libdl.so.2 (it uses none of its symbols).
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: debian/fglrx-driver/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so shouldn't be linked with libm.so.6 (it uses none of its symbols).
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol _XFlush used by debian/fglrx-driver/usr/lib/libfglrx_gamma.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XextAddDisplay used by debian/fglrx-driver/usr/lib/libfglrx_gamma.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol _XReply used by debian/fglrx-driver/usr/lib/libfglrx_gamma.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XextRemoveDisplay used by debian/fglrx-driver/usr/lib/libfglrx_gamma.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XextCreateExtension used by debian/fglrx-driver/usr/lib/libfglrx_gamma.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol XextFindDisplay used by debian/fglrx-driver/usr/lib/libfglrx_gamma.so.1.0 found in none of the libraries.
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: debian/fglrx-driver/usr/lib/xorg/modules/glesx.so shouldn't be linked with libdl.so.2 (it uses none of its symbols).
    dpkg-shlibdeps: failure: couldn't find library libfglrx_gamma.so.1 needed by debian/fglrx-driver/usr/bin/fglrx_xgamma (its RPATH is '').
    Note: libraries are not searched in other binary packages that do not have any shlibs or symbols file.
    To help dpkg-shlibdeps find private libraries, you might need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
    dh_shlibdeps: command returned error code 512
    make: *** [binary] Error 1
    dpkg-buildpackage: failure: debian/rules binary gave error exit status 2
    Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.lo8585
    Has anyone experienced the same problem? Any help will be very appreciated!

The old installer 8.40 isn't reporting this error while building the packages but as it's not compatible with 2.6.23, I cannot fulfill the installation of fglrx.

Thanks to everyone in advance

try kanotix rc7, ive had success with ATI drivers using it.

Comment

Isn't kanotix a different distro of Linux? In general I feel at home in Debian, more than in others deb-based distros mostly because is the one I always used. I don't absolutely want to be harsh, but you know, reinstalling Linux changing the distro even if quite similar isn't that great (I've been using ubuntu for a short time and found several differences between them). fglrx worked fine on Debian till a week ago on older packages. This thing I'm experiencing has a few matches on web but I didn't realized what exactly is the solution. The only hint was a missing dependency but sounds strange that 8.40 installer isn't reporting this problem. As a matter of fact it doesn't seem to be the answer to the problem because no one posted the solution in the forum where the matter was questioned.

I actually have the direct rendering and OpenGL support because Xorg 7.3 has correctly detected the Video Card but the results are very poor (let's say half the stats I had on 2.6.22 with fglrx 8.40).

Hope I've been kind and not too confused (as I'm in reality because fglrx seems to be the doom of ATI's owners even if they told things would have changed)

Thanks anyway

Comment

dist-upgrade and try again, I had the same error yesterday. For some reason it works again tho.

Comment

Originally posted by damentz View Post
          dist-upgrade and try again, I had the same error yesterday. For some reason it works again tho.
          That's a great news but I hope you'll assist me: unfortunately I've just launched a dist-upgrade and found 23 packages to be upgraded, related to pango and sylpheed (no good...). After rebooting, the ati installer keeps returning that error. Do you have any idea on what kind of problem we are figuring?

I really thank you for your help, at least I'm not alone!

Comment

Put ati-installer(s) into /usr/src then you don't need to dl it again and just execute my script - presinstalled with Kanotix but should work for Debian and Ubuntu too.

You can go back to 7-11 using

-v 7-11

option. Same works for many older versions and kernel 2.6.23, for 2.6.24 only 8.39.4 and newer works [there is a check included that it will not even tried on wrong kernel].

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              Put ati-installer(s) into /usr/src then you don't need to dl it again and just execute my script - presinstalled with Kanotix but should work for Debian and Ubuntu too.

-v 7-11

option. Same works for many older versions and kernel 2.6.23, for 2.6.24 only 8.39.4 and newer works [there is a check included that it will not even tried on wrong kernel].
              I want to start my reply saying that is an honor to work with a Debian Developer.
              Unfortunately lady luck seems to be against me. I've put the installer 8.443 in /usr/src. Then I launched your script. It was able to build the packages but selected Ubuntu edgy as type (is it ok?). I installed the packages anyway and the module was built but not placed in the kernel (solved by adding it in /etc/modules and rebooting just to be sure). This is the fglrx grep on the dmesg once rebooted:

Code:
              fglrx: module license 'Proprietary. (C) 2002 - ATI Technologies, Starnberg, GERMANY' taints kernel.
              [fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 432 MBytes.
              [fglrx] ASYNCIO init succeed!
              [fglrx] PAT is enabled successfully!
              [fglrx] module loaded - fglrx 8.44.3 [Dec 19 2007] on minor 0
              Your script auto-edited the xorg.conf that looked like:

Code:
              Section "InputDevice"
              	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
              	Driver		"kbd"
              	Option		"XkbRules"	"xorg"
              	Option		"XkbModel"	"pc105"
              	Option		"XkbLayout"	"it"
              EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
              	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
              	Driver		"mouse"
              EndSection

Section "Device"
              	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
              	Driver      "fglrx"
              	Option      "UseInternalAGPGART" "no"
              	Option      "VideoOverlay" "on"
              	Option      "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
              	Option      "MonitorLayout" "AUTO, AUTO"
              EndSection

Section "Monitor"
              	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
              EndSection

Section "Screen"
              	Identifier	"Default Screen"
              	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
              EndSection
              Section "DRI"
              	Mode 0666
              EndSection

Section "Extensions"
              	Option	"Composite"	"1"
              #	Option	"RENDER"	"1"
              EndSection
              But in the end startx doesn't work properly, X hangs while starting leading me to a black screen with no chance to return in text mode using Ctrl Alt Backspace nor Ctrl Alt F*. Ctrl Alt Del is the only accepted and once back to normal this is the Xlog:

Code:
              (II) Setting vga for screen 0.
              (II) fglrx(0): === [atiddxPreInit] === begin, [x]
              (II) Loading sub module "vgahw"
              (II) LoadModule: "vgahw"
              (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libvgahw.so
              (II) Module vgahw: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
              	compiled for 1.4.0.90, module version = 0.1.0
              	ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 2.0
              (II) fglrx(0): PCI bus 1 card 0 func 0
              (II) fglrx(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
              	"Default Screen" for depth/fbbpp 8/8
              (EE) fglrx(0): Given depth (8) is not supported by fglrx driver
              (EE) fglrx(0): PreInitVisual failed
              SetVBEMode failed
              (EE) fglrx(0): PreInit failed
              (II) fglrx(0): === [atiddxPreInit] === end
              (II) UnloadModule: "fglrx"
              (II) UnloadModule: "vgahw"
              (II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libvgahw.so
              (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
              no screens found
              This error is the same I got when I've tried to install the fglrx-driver from the non-free packages. Any hint?

Hope I've written what you need to figure a way out,
              Thanks a lot

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post

-v 7-11

I want to start my reply saying that is an honor to interact with a Debian Developer.

Unfortunately seems like Lady Luck is against me. I've put the ati installer in /usr/src and downloaded your script. Once executed, it was able to create debs and module but he detected an Ubuntu Edgy (is it normal?). Anyway the module was not inserted so I added fglrx in /etc/modules and rebooted just to be sure. Grepping fglrx in the dmesg returned:

Code:
                fglrx: module license 'Proprietary. (C) 2002 - ATI Technologies, Starnberg, GERMANY' taints kernel.
                Your script auto-edits xorg.conf that looked like:

Code:
                Section "InputDevice"
                	Driver		"kbd"
                	Option		"XkbLayout"	"it"
                EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
                	Driver		"mouse"
                EndSection

Section "Device"
                	Driver      "fglrx"
                EndSection

Section "Monitor"
                EndSection

Section "Screen"
                EndSection
                Section "DRI"
                	Mode 0666
                EndSection

Section "Extensions"
                	Option	"Composite"	"1"
                #	Option	"RENDER"	"1"
                EndSection
                Unfortunately startx doesn't lead to a normal situation and X hangs while starting getting a black screen with no chance to return in text mode by pressing Ctrl Alt Backspace or F*. Ctrl Alt Del is the only way out and once rebooted this is the only part of the Xlog complaining errors:

Code:
                SetVBEMode failed

Fatal server error:
                no screens found
                This error is the same I got when I've tried to install the fglrx-driver from non-free repo.

Thanks a lot for your help, I hope to have written all the useful infos to figure a way out

Comment

I've posted the answer quoting the message from Kano but I have less than 5 posts so the answer was sent to a moderator. Sorry for this long time.

I want to start my reply saying that is an honor to interact with a Debian Developer. But Lady Luck seems to be against me. I've moved the ati installer in /usr/src and used the script you suggested. It was able to create the debs and build the module but detected an Ubuntu as OS (is it normal?). Anyway, I've inserted the module adding it in /etc/modules and rebooted just to be sure. Grepping fglrx on dmesg returned:

Code:
                  Your script autoedited the xorg.conf that looked like:

Code:
                  Section "InputDevice"
                  	Driver		"kbd"
                  	Option		"XkbLayout"	"it"
                  EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
                  	Driver		"mouse"
                  EndSection

Section "Device"
                  	Driver      "fglrx"
                  EndSection

Section "Monitor"
                  EndSection

Section "Screen"
                  EndSection
                  Section "DRI"
                  	Mode 0666
                  EndSection

Section "Extensions"
                  	Option	"Composite"	"1"
                  #	Option	"RENDER"	"1"
                  EndSection
                  Unfortunately, X won't correctly work and hangs up while starting leading me to a black screen where only Ctrl Alt Del is allowed, not even the possibility to stop the Xsession nor moving to a terminal. This behavior is the same I got when installed fglrx-driver from non-free repo. Besides the error experienced looks the same in Xlog:

Code:
                  SetVBEMode failed

Fatal server error:
                  no screens found
                  I hope I've been clear and posted all the useful infos to figure the problem out.

Thanks a lot for the help

Comment

My script modfies a "standard" xorg.conf, yours was non standard, best do this:

rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.1st

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Then create a "standard" xorg.conf and at last run my script again to modifiy it in a correct way.
                    Last edited by Kano; 12 January 2008, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X