Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 83

Thread: NVIDIA To Discontinue Linux Support For Some GPUs

  1. #71
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    Calling me idiot for speaking my mind and telling nvidia to fuck off? You seem to be the idiot here for resorting to ad-hominem attacks. I've never insulted you, I insulted Nvidia, but you can't talk without insulting it seems.
    What I actually said is you come across as an idiot, not that you are an idiot. There is a distinct difference. One is an indeed an insult, the other is attributed to what you were saying, not you as a person on the whole. I also went to ahead and explained why I feel you're coming across this way so you can understand that view, but you seem to have completely skipped that point. I'd suggest, there is nothing fallacious about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    And who cares, this isn't only about me, it's about the whole Linux community.
    Except there are several Linux community members here that have suggested they don't agree with you. We are not all frothing at the mouth because we can't make a multi-billion doller company bend to our wills. We just don't buy their stuff if the lack of OSS is a problem. I have my 5850 for that very reason and am reasonably happy in the progress thats been made.

    Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    Linus being the authority might have more "privileges" than the average Linux user, but that shouldn't stop people like me or you from speaking our minds. We are consumers, if anything, we should have more rights to demand what we want from the corporation.
    It has nothing to do with authority or privileges, it has everything to do with use case. Linus is a developer that Nvidia is required or desires to work with, either directly or indirectly, in order to complete a task. It is completely logical for him to have an issue with them not living up to their end of the deal or making his life more difficult in that capacity. This is not comparable with you expecting additional features beyond what you originally promised when you paid for your card.

    Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    I don't expect them to change their minds and I'm not saying they will after they read my comments. They didn't care about Linus giving them the finger also. So, let's at least give them the same treatment we receive from them.
    I'd be suprised if there isn't a single nvidia developer who sympathises with the open source community. The fact is, you don't know if they care or not, but more importantly, you have no reason to be acting the way that you do. Just because you disagree with a person, doesn't mean they should completely forfeit respect in the manner in which you address them.

    Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    They're required to suck their bosses dick if the boss demands it? What a crappy way to work, but that's none of my business anyway. Thanks God it isn't, or I would have released all the docs and code they have already to the Linux community while showing management my white ass.them.
    You may be willing to be sued into oblivion over such a matter, but most reasonably minded folks aren't.

    Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    My advice to those Nvidia devs: Quit your jobs before it's too late and quit being the stupid cowards you are right now.
    Thus ensuring that nobody at all will be fighting the good fight for OSS. Seems like a sharp plan on your end there bro.

    What kind of job do you have, if I may ask?


    Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    Tell that to the nouveau developers who have to put up with nvidia crap and RE the thing every day without docs.
    They do not put up with any crap, they're simply ignored and thats about it. They were never promised specs, Nvidia doesn't really need to work with them, so I don't get your point.

    Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    Your argument is the shit one here, you should be ashamed of yourself for defending this corrupt company.
    Nvidia are in the business of making money. They offered to sell a card that had no OSS support. You bought it in light of this information being available. That makes them corrupt how?

    Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    Yes, I agree that I made a bad choice when I bought this card, and I'm not blaming the devs for that, I take responsibility on my actions, I blame NVIDIA and the devs because they are INCAPABLE of doing something that is truly good for the platform they're aiming and profiting from (Linux).
    Taking responsibility for your actions would be accepting you purchased the wrong card for the use case you cared about.
    Blaming someone else is completely the opposite of doing that.

    Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    Having this card didn't turn out to be so bad after all, as it allows me to contribute to nouveau, which I already did in multiples occasions.
    Good for you?

    Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    But the fact that individuals like me having to write an open source driver already speaks bad about Nvidia.
    Again, they aren't holding a gun to your head. You could have bought the card accepting the blob they offered, or you could have bought a different card. May I ask, which card do you own, and how long ago did you buy it?

    Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    Anyway, keep defending Nvidia. I'm sure Linux devs will be proud of you.
    Given that they don't know me, I don't see why they would be. I'm also not really defending them, just pointing out that you're being quite silly with your entitlement complex.
    Last edited by ownagefool; 09-01-2012 at 12:24 AM.

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rural Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    Write intelligently?

    Oh so because my English isn't as good as yours or because I speak my mind I'm a troll already? Pfft.

    I'm not a native English speaker, I want to see you or others in this forum speaking Portuguese or another language fluently. Let's see how well you guys do it.

    What a bunch of assholes.
    I was not picking on your English - I am fully aware that many people on this forum do not speak it as a their first language. What I was complaining about was your writing, which is perfectly fair game. You were verbally abusive and spewed insults to anyone who disagrees with you - which would be bad in any language. I was not picking on grammatical mistakes or anything else which could be explained away as something which was lost in translation. You knew what you meant, and you expressed what you meant. That is what I disagreed with.

    As I said, I agree that it is in the best interest of the Linux community to promote and use free in-kernel drivers. I believe that is the best way to support Linux, and that is how I use my Linux box. That is the reason I only buy AMD or recently Intel - I only have two Nvidia cards in this house, one of which I got by random chance and the other is the one that is built-in to my motherboard (which does work with Nouveau now, although I have opted instead for a more powerful AMD PCI-E card). I agree with much of what you say and what you are promoting.

    But your actions to accomplish this goal have been for the most part unconscionable, and reflect badly on those of us who do agree with you. So my advice still stands: next time calm down, think about what you are writing, and try to convey it in the most constructive way possible.

  3. #73
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ownagefool View Post
    Asdx needs to get off Linus' dick, but you shouldn't run off to mommy and daddy because he responded in kind to you telling him to fuck off. Unlike Q, who is a completely ridiculous person, you are feeding this troll. If you can't handle it, don't respond to him and certaintly don't do the same thing you'd like to see him gone for.
    You're making the mistake here of thinking that this crap with asdx started in this thread. It didn't. He's been posting the "f you nvidia" crap for some time now, in several threads. And also spewing colorful expressions at people who don't agree with him.
    So It's not he who "responded in kind" to me, it's the other way around - I responded to him the way he's been responding to others plenty of times before.

    About me "running off to mommy and daddy", you seem to have missed this part I said in a previous post: "And just so we're clear: I don't care if an idiot on a forum gives me colorful descriptions. But I do find it annoying to see the "fuck you nvidia" posts all the time."

    "don't respond to him" is not the solution. Even if I don't respond, I still have to put up with the annoying "f you nvidia" posts all the time. Why should I have to? Why are you the second person here giving people the go-ahead to be obnoxious, while denying me the request that something is done about it?



    Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    Ok thanks for your advice. Sorry for the inconvenience.

    I think I crossed the limit as well, I was insulting people due to my frustration, sorry, won't happen again, no excuses.
    We've seen your apologies before. But the problem is, apologies only have meaning if you follow through with them. Which you don't. You apologize, but then a few days later you go back to calling people colorful expressions. This makes your apologies worthless.

  4. #74
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    And the devs aren't part of that fucking corporation? How exactly aren't they?

    Fuck, if anything the devs deserve to be bashed to death for being a bunch of FUCKING COWARDS who are too scared to talk to the management people and convince them to the right thing. But sure they prefer to remain quiet while everyone else has to put up with their bullshit.

    I'm fucking sick of all of you. Fuck you all.
    Take your meds before you hurt someone.

  5. #75
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    What? So should I never make another comment against Nvidia?
    You should follow through on your apology. Which means not behaving in the same manner (attacking people with all sorts of colorful expressions) again. And yes, thing includes not posting the annoying "f you nvidia" posts anymore. Only post when you have something valuable to contribute. Posts containing "f you nvidia" are not valuable.
    Last edited by Gusar; 09-01-2012 at 03:47 PM.

  6. #76
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gusar View Post
    You're making the mistake here of thinking that this crap with asdx started in this thread. It didn't. He's been posting the "f you nvidia" crap for some time now, in several threads. And also spewing colorful expressions at people who don't agree with him.
    So It's not he who "responded in kind" to me, it's the other way around - I responded to him the way he's been responding to others plenty of times before.
    Actually, I didn't make that mistake,I just don't care. This topic is the one I was refering to, and thus what I said stands perfectly well based on the content of this discussion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gusar View Post
    About me "running off to mommy and daddy", you seem to have missed this part I said in a previous post: "And just so we're clear: I don't care if an idiot on a forum gives me colorful descriptions. But I do find it annoying to see the "fuck you nvidia" posts all the time."

    "don't respond to him" is not the solution. Even if I don't respond, I still have to put up with the annoying "f you nvidia" posts all the time. Why should I have to? Why are you the second person here giving people the go-ahead to be obnoxious, while denying me the request that something is done about it?
    Is there some reason you cannot counter your personal disapproval with personally adding him to your ignore list, instead of asking him to be banned?

  7. #77
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ownagefool View Post
    Is there some reason you cannot counter your personal disapproval with personally adding him to your ignore list, instead of asking him to be banned?
    Is there some reason you're objecting the request to ban an obnoxious person not capable of proper conversation? This should be a no-brainer: In a community, you don't ask everyone to adapt to the one obnoxious person. It's the one person who should adapt, or he is to be removed (first temporarily, then permanently if the temporary timeout didn't suffice).
    Last edited by Gusar; 09-01-2012 at 04:59 PM.

  8. #78
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gusar View Post
    Is there some reason you're objecting the request to ban an obnoxious person not capable of proper conversation? This should be a no-brainer: In a community, you don't ask everyone to adapt to the one obnoxious person. It's the one person who should adapt, or he is to be removed (first temporarily, then permanently if the temporary timeout didn't suffice).
    I don't object if we draw a line in the sand. Since you've lowered yourself to his level, you wouldn't mind requesting one for yourself now too, would you?

    Quote Originally Posted by asdx
    Let me guess, when Linus Torvalds says "Fuck you nvidia" everyone applauds him and he's the best guy on earth. But when an individual like me says "Fuck you nvidia" I'm wrong, I'm an obnoxious person that is incapable of proper conversation and I should be banned from forums and planet earth, etc.
    Its not really the same though, is it? The difference is Linus had genuine complaint, or at least in a position to have one. From my perspective, he generally skirts backing his opinions with sensible arguments, but thats by the by.
    Last edited by ownagefool; 09-01-2012 at 11:22 PM.

  9. #79
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    Who said I'm not capable of proper conversation?

    Let me guess, when Linus Torvalds says "Fuck you nvidia" everyone applauds him and he's the best guy on earth. But when an individual like me says "Fuck you nvidia" I'm wrong, I'm an obnoxious person that is incapable of proper conversation and I should be banned from forums and planet earth, etc.

    Ah the hypocrisy...
    When Torvald's says "Fuck you nVidia" he's being a spoiled man child bashing the only company that makes his kernel worth using on workstations. When you do it, you are showing the world that you are a violent psychopath.

    Take your meds, call your sponsor, get help.

  10. #80
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yogi_berra View Post
    When Torvald's says "Fuck you nVidia" he's being a spoiled man child bashing the only company that makes his kernel worth using on workstations. When you do it, you are showing the world that you are a violent psychopath.

    Take your meds, call your sponsor, get help.
    My workstation runs fine with both my integrated Intel, and discrete AMD GPU. What problems do you experience?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •