No announcement yet.

Canonical Plans To Drop Alternate Ubuntu CDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For users with Nvidia cards this is annoying, I remember the time where fan didn't worked with open source driver.
    If the card even don't works at all this more annoying.

Comment

Alright, not a too long time ago we did a mass deployment of ubuntu 12.04 by pxe-booting a pre-seeded alternative installer.

I'm very interested in how this will turn out.

Comment

Originally posted by Destroyer View Post
        Its a big deal for those of us who have to use the Alternate cd and I'm not going to jump through more hoops to get a workable desktop by using the server version. If it does happen I might be going back to windows and think about those newcomers that will try Ubuntu and if it fails will think that their hardware isn't supported and will stick with windows too.

I put this idiocy on par with the call to drop 32bit support, a great way to loose more customers or do Canonical think they have enough already?
        Don't make a fool of yourself. You would change the to an entirely different OS, just because the "short-term" release of a particular Linux distribution comes without one particular installation medium? Do you think you can improve on that bullshit?

Comment

I put this idiocy on par with the call to drop 32bit support, a great way to loose more customers or do Canonical think they have enough already?
          Yeah, because 32bit ISO is so MUST HAVE (you just can't live without that placebo speed). And no, you don't use Ubuntu on old computers, you have Lubuntu for that. RTFM.

Comment

Its a big deal for those of us who have to use the Alternate cd and I'm not going to jump through more hoops to get a workable desktop by using the server version. If it does happen I might be going back to windows and think about those newcomers that will try Ubuntu and if it fails will think that their hardware isn't supported and will stick with windows too.

Canonical has never planned AFAIK to drop 32 bit support, just to not make it the default. But I also need the alternate installer, since I like LVM. So unless the new one supports lvm I'm going to be really disappointed.

Comment

I simply preferred the alternate cd due to the text-based installer. It takes over two minutes to load the desktop on the normal cd.

Comment

Originally posted by gQuigs View Post
                Why do you need to use the alternate CD?
                LVM + encryption

Comment

On my country where internet from home is both costly and slow, I use alternate cds to update Ubuntu versions. I download Alternate CD from my university and use that as a repository for updating so total internet used for updating is minimal. Now its a bad news for me.

Comment

If it does happen I might be going back to windows
                    What's stopping you? Go for it!

Comment

Originally posted by dsmithhfx View Post
                      What's stopping you? Go for it!
                      Cheers, you and the abuse from this stupid forum helped me to make a choice, going back to XP on this lappy & win7 on my XPS17. What a bunch of wankers rolf!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X