Canonical Plans To Drop Alternate Ubuntu CDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wondering If This Will Affect Variations

I never install regular Ubuntu, so this wouldn't directly affect me. I do, however, use Xubuntu and other variations at times. I'm wondering if Ubuntu dropping the alternate install disks will cause some of the Ubuntu variants to also drop them. I hope not because installing from the alternate CD is quicker and gives me greater control. That's part of the appeal of Linux in the first place. Sometimes I think that Ubuntu wants to be 'the non-Linux Linux.'

Comment

Originally posted by uaaquarius View Post
      LVM + encryption
      exactly !

well, if that's the case:

bye bye Ubuntu - I was starting to appreciate you and your community

until support of 12.04 LTS is finished - I'm back to Gentoo on my laptop (or earlier)

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
        Typical Canonical, and we're expecting Wayland to be made mandatory when it's ready.... haha...hahahaha
        I believe you meant to say "mandatory 6-12 months BEFORE, it is ready" lol

Comment

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
          Yeah, because 32bit ISO is so MUST HAVE (you just can't live without that placebo speed). And no, you don't use Ubuntu on old computers, you have Lubuntu for that. RTFM.
          Removing 32bit support had nothing to do with Canonical or Ubuntu. It was suggested to remove it from the LINUX Kernel. Which would remove it from Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu and every other Linux Distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
            exactly !

well, if that's the case:

bye bye Ubuntu - I was starting to appreciate you and your community

until support of 12.04 LTS is finished - I'm back to Gentoo on my laptop (or earlier)
            Actually I switched to Sabayon (which is a spin of Gentoo) when Ubuntu introduced Unity
            This distro is using Fedora's Anaconda and supports LVM + encryption (and probably RAID, but I'm not using it, so I'm not sure).

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
              Alright, not a too long time ago we did a mass deployment of ubuntu 12.04 by pxe-booting a pre-seeded alternative installer.

I'm very interested in how this will turn out.
              Yup that was my use for the alternate too. I'm not doing bulk installs these days, but a P4 would install in under 5 minutes flat over 100mbps ethernet, including copying some post-install updates (well, not just "a" P4, as many as would fit on the switch.) I think the OEM installer also uses this method.

Remember, "Ubuntu" is African for "I can't configure Debian."
              Heh.

Overall.... meh. I do object to the "the replacement is 2/3rds done, so we'll go ahead and replace that" method to distro development. That said, this isn't an LTS release, it's pretty normal for the occasional non-LTS release to be a bit of a wreck and this is almost a minor issue compared to some of that stuff. 8-)

I don't know if it'll be sorted by the time 12.10 is released (since October is like a month and a day away) but I would venture that the LVM and RAID stuff are just temporary issues; the lack of preseed maybe not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger_Coder View Post
                On my country where internet from home is both costly and slow, I use alternate cds to update Ubuntu versions. I download Alternate CD from my university and use that as a repository for updating so total internet used for updating is minimal. Now its a bad news for me.
                I suggest you look into Delta-RPMs, with a distribution like fedora or openSUSE, it saves quite a bit of bandwidtrh

Comment

Seems like a wise decision when considering that desktop live image (USB,CD,whatever) may fail or freeze due to graphics card init problems. The alternate text-only install has saved me there a couple of times.

Comment

Do not drop altrnate installer support!

* Altrenate gets you sucessful installs
                    when graphical installer fails.

* Customizing alternate installer.
                    Create offline installer, it has no need for internet,
                    and it can contain your custom packages and settings.

* More ...
                    Check out: http://www.change.org/petitions/ubun...taller-support

Comment

Originally posted by SimonDoe View Post
                      * Altrenate gets you sucessful installs
                      when graphical installer fails.
                      http://www.change.org/petitions/ubun...taller-support
                      Yes, especially when you have an latest NVIDIA GPU.

Comment

Working...
                      X