Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Plans To Drop Alternate Ubuntu CDs

Phoronix: Canonical Plans To Drop Alternate Ubuntu CDs

Steve Langasek has laid out plans to drop Ubuntu alternate CDs beginning already with the forthcoming Ubuntu 12.10 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not that big a deal..

If it helps QA I'm all for it. You can still grab a server "alternate" ISO, afterwards you have to install ubuntu-desktop or similar. For someone who the alternate install works for, I don't see it as that big of a deal...

Comment

There is also minimal iso: http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...tboot/mini.iso

Comment

right, well its still jumping through hoops. What is lost in offering the alternate iso until this is ready?

Comment

Originally posted by gQuigs View Post
          I don't see it as that big of a deal...
          Its a big deal for those of us who have to use the Alternate cd and I'm not going to jump through more hoops to get a workable desktop by using the server version. If it does happen I might be going back to windows and think about those newcomers that will try Ubuntu and if it fails will think that their hardware isn't supported and will stick with windows too.

I put this idiocy on par with the call to drop 32bit support, a great way to loose more customers or do Canonical think they have enough already?

Comment

Originally posted by Destroyer View Post
            Its a big deal for those of us who have to use the Alternate cd
            Why do you need to use the alternate CD?

Comment

Originally posted by gQuigs View Post
              Why do you need to use the alternate CD?
              Because the desktop cd doesn't work on my hardware.

Comment

My thought on this being positive was more time to work on making the desktop CD better.

Specifically what hardware do you have? Bug on it? Let's get it fixed. Most people will only every try the desktop cd.

Comment

IIRC, the installer for Mandrake 8 had RAID support.

I find the Alternate ISOs useful as a source for debs. I do net-based installs over TFTP/HTTP with a kickstart script from the minimal ISO. My script grabs the debs from a loop-back mounted Alternate ISO to save download time. I can live without the Alternate ISO since I can just copy the debs from an installed system to a directory on my server.

Comment

Originally posted by rrohbeck
                    Remember, "Ubuntu" is African for "I can't configure Debian."
                    Technically it is Zulu for "people" although that is synonymous with English words like humanity and mankind :-)

I personally have a PXE server setup. It provides a bootable kernel/initrd that then start the install or rescue process. It points to a local preseed file that points at my caching proxy web server which will then have cached all the files that are used. This setup is very quick and easy. I also have PXE serve up the contents of an Ubuntu DVD. The kernel/initrd go over TFTP and then the rest is via NFS with the iso loopback mounted. That gives me a desktop environment.

Unfortunately all the installers are a pain when it comes to advanced partitioning. I use btrfs everywhere and they don't let you set options like compression. The text mode installer does however let you setup LUKS/dmcrypt pretty nicely.

Comment

Working...
                    X