Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE 4.0 and 7.11 driver (Desktop Effects)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE 4.0 and 7.11 driver (Desktop Effects)

I guess I wasn't suprised to find I couldn't get the desktop effects in KDE 4.0 to work.

So let me guess, the driver doesn't have XComposite and XDamage? Are they in 7.12? I'm not using 7.12 at the moment due to the widescreen resolution problem.

I'm on 7.11 and KDE4.0's desktop effects work good here, albeit a bit slow (comparable to compiz). Do you have this two sections in your xorg.conf?

Code:
    Section "ServerFlags"
            Option      "AIGLX" "on"
    EndSection

Section "Extensions"
            Option      "Composite" "Enable"
    EndSection

Comment

works fine here. In addition to piquadrat, I have also activated DAMAGE in section Extensions. So it reads:

Code:
      Section "Extensions"
              Option      "Composite" "Enable"
              Option      "Damage"    "true" 
      EndSection

Comment

Sorry, I've been an idiot! Seems when I reverted back from the 8.443 driver I got confused with the driver names and rather than using 7.11 I went to 8.42 which of course didn't have AIGLX which was why it didn't work. Thanks, and sorry for being so stupid!

Comment

Well, using the 7.12 driver (8.44.3), I have no working composite with KDE4, while the "Composite", "Damage" and "AIGLX" parameters are set as above. The Xorg.0.log file shows that AIGLX is working, as DRI, COMPOSE extension seems to be loaded, fgl_glxgears works correctly and fglrxinfo shows that I use ATI's OpenGL libs.
          I'm looking for a Composite test to check, but I haven't found any yet.
          The above post seems to talk about reverting to 7.11 driver. Is there any place I can get it?
          Best regards,

Comment

I have the 7.12 working with aiglx, composite enabled and compiz, so it is possible. And the performance is actually not too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by rvdboom View Post
              Well, using the 7.12 driver (8.44.3), I have no working composite with KDE4, while the "Composite", "Damage" and "AIGLX" parameters are set as above. The Xorg.0.log file shows that AIGLX is working, as DRI, COMPOSE extension seems to be loaded, fgl_glxgears works correctly and fglrxinfo shows that I use ATI's OpenGL libs.
              I'm looking for a Composite test to check, but I haven't found any yet.
              The above post seems to talk about reverting to 7.11 driver. Is there any place I can get it?
              Best regards,
              Like Mancunian, I had the 7.12 driver working, although I have the widescreen problem except mine won't show 1400x900, instead it displays 1024x720 I think it was.

If you want to go back to the 7.11 driver, you need to uninstall the currently installed drivers. Also you have to remove the .ko file installed when using dkms to install the new drivers.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, I guess my problem comes from something else then.
                Keep on searching then. :-)

Comment

Something to check out

You may want to check this out and try adding your information to this bug:

Maybe we can figure out what's going on then

Comment

Well, apparently, the bug has been closed, suggesting some bug preventing 7.12 driver to enable compositing with Xserver 1.4.
                    I'm going to try the most recent AMD driver, but the release notes do not seem to indicate a fix that would have an impact here.

Comment

Working...
                    X