No announcement yet.

Canonical Promoting Ubuntu Software Center To Game Devs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The elementary project uses Vala for all apps and they choose Vala because it's a simple, fast, and beautiful language. In my opinion, Vala is the right choice for desktop app rather than python(Of all the people i know, non likes those slow python apps).
    Last edited by hooluupog; 23 August 2012, 05:20 AM.

Comment

I doubt the delays have anything to do with python directly, probably more the way the code is designed and the locking you face while the software centre gathers information it needs. Even then, if there were parts of the code which were slow because of the limitations of a high level language, you can combine both languages to deal with this. Likely it has more to do with the implimentation itself, which would probably be just as slow if someone wrote it the same way in C.

Comment

Originally posted by ownagefool View Post
        I doubt the delays have anything to do with python directly, probably more the way the code is designed and the locking you face while the software centre gathers information it needs. Even then, if there were parts of the code which were slow because of the limitations of a high level language, you can combine both languages to deal with this. Likely it has more to do with the implimentation itself, which would probably be just as slow if someone wrote it the same way in C.
        So either way, the coders at Canonical are incompetent?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          So either way, the coders at Canonical are incompetent?
          Developers don't ship code, managers do. Canonical have a habit of shipping unfinished code, have fun being a beta tester. :P

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
            No, no, no, I can't take any more of this.

Unity is SLOW, is HORRIBLE and it's the reason why I haven't been able to recommend Ubuntu to ANYONE since 11.04. If anything, canonical should be getting RID of it instead of embracing it like this.....

Hahaha. Sorry, I just couldn't resist...
            Unity is a game engine from Unity Technologies. It began life as Mac-only, and nowadays supports creation of games for most platforms including all gaming systems. Unity 4.0 supports Linux exporting.

Unity is a Compiz plugin from Canonical, for use with Ubuntu Linux.

Unity has nothing to do with Unity. This post is about Unity.

Comment

Originally posted by sepisoad View Post
              Your concern is right, but you have to take a look at http://valadoc.org/ It has full documentation on every single method and property of different calsses in all available libraries.
              Also there are many good tutorials on the vala's official website which you can find it here: https://live.gnome.org/Vala/Documentation

Let's not forget that one way to promote vala (by canonical) is to provide more sample codes and also documentation for ubuntu-specific technologies which is kind of available right now but not satisfying.

I even go further and suggest canonical to make vala their official choice for desktop app developing. Another crazy suggestion is to create a user-friendly IDE based on vala for ubuntu. Windows has VS(maily for C#/C++ devs) and OSX has XCode(mainly for Objective-C/C++ devs) why not a new one UDev for Vala/C/C++ devs or maybe Python!

(I know many IDEs already exist but they all have their own issues, none of them is designed to address ubuntu specific needs)
              No, no, you got it wrong. I'm not talking about the programmer who wants to write with Ubuntu as a target (For them, looking at valadoc should not be any problem). I'm talking about the total newbie, with limited or non-existent knowledge about programming. For those people, Python has lowered the entry barrier, Vala, on the other hand, assumes that you already know C#, or C+GLib.

Comment

Originally posted by Desiderantes View Post
                No, no, you got it wrong. I'm not talking about the programmer who wants to write with Ubuntu as a target (For them, looking at valadoc should not be any problem). I'm talking about the total newbie, with limited or non-existent knowledge about programming. For those people, Python has lowered the entry barrier, Vala, on the other hand, assumes that you already know C#, or C+GLib.
                Um...if you really understand one programming language, you understand all programming languages. Problem is, too often, people are taught a syntax, not a language.

(Ok, theres a few outliers out there, like APL, but those are few and far between).

Comment

Working...
                X