Canonical Promoting Ubuntu Software Center To Game Devs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, no, no

No, no, no, I can't take any more of this.

Unity is SLOW, is HORRIBLE and it's the reason why I haven't been able to recommend Ubuntu to ANYONE since 11.04. If anything, canonical should be getting RID of it instead of embracing it like this.....

Hahaha. Sorry, I just couldn't resist...

Comment

Synaptic

Luckily there is the Synaptic Package Manager.
      Its great, has 100x the functionality of the Ubuntu Software Store, and it doesn't try to get you to buy anything by displaying ads for proprietary commercial software.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
        I don't like Steam so much, but it's better than the Ubuntu Software Center for Linux.
        BTW: It might be a bit OT but why the Ubuntu Software Center requires that commercial Software goes to /opt?
        Any binary-only software goes to /opt as per FHS.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Its great, has 100x the functionality of the Ubuntu Software Store, and it doesn't try to get you to buy anything by displaying ads for proprietary commercial software.
          Comparing Synaptic with software center is like comparing buy lists with carry bags.

Comment

Sometimes I like ads, as long as they are informative, attractive, and non-intrusive. The Ubuntu software center meets those requirements for me.
            Last edited by dh04000; 22 August 2012, 04:30 PM.

Comment

At least they're finally taking their chance, but I don't think USC will be able to compete on this market. It's good that they're showing something at least until Steam is here, certainly some devs will want their app in it.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                Sometimes I like ads, as long as they are informative, attractive, and non-intrusive. The Ubuntu software center meets those requirements for me.
                Yeah, I would like those ads too, if they were for open source software, not for proprietary software.

And there seems to be no setting to disable ads for proprietary software and show ads for open source software.

Comment

Yeah, I would like those ads too, if they were for open source software, not for proprietary software.

And there seems to be no setting to disable ads for proprietary software and show ads for open source software.
                  Well, when you invest millions of dollars and build your own industry respected company and OS, you can decide to only show free opensource software n your own software center.

Tell me when you have that done, I'll try it out. A weekend project right?

In the mean time, ignoring non-intrusive ads seems like a good compromise for all.

Comment

Is the unity IDE being ported to Linux? As in what you would use to create a game with? Or so far is it just the web player etc.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                      Any binary-only software goes to /opt as per FHS.
                      Can you give me a link to this? Cause it's very strange, cause binary-only must respect the FHS too, to delifer a proper integration in the system.
                      My knowledge of /opt was that is to install software that is not provided via the package manager and is commercial software that was provided via .run files or something , it didn't found anything that said that binary-only software goes there.
                      Last edited by Thaodan; 22 August 2012, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X