Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canonical Promoting Ubuntu Software Center To Game Devs

Angry No, no, no

No, no, no, I can't take any more of this.

Unity is SLOW, is HORRIBLE and it's the reason why I haven't been able to recommend Ubuntu to ANYONE since 11.04. If anything, canonical should be getting RID of it instead of embracing it like this.....

Hahaha. Sorry, I just couldn't resist...

Default Synaptic

Luckily there is the Synaptic Package Manager.
    Its great, has 100x the functionality of the Ubuntu Software Store, and it doesn't try to get you to buy anything by displaying ads for proprietary commercial software.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaodan View Post
    I don't like Steam so much, but it's better than the Ubuntu Software Center for Linux.
    BTW: It might be a bit OT but why the Ubuntu Software Center requires that commercial Software goes to /opt?
    Any binary-only software goes to /opt as per FHS.

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Its great, has 100x the functionality of the Ubuntu Software Store, and it doesn't try to get you to buy anything by displaying ads for proprietary commercial software.
    Comparing Synaptic with software center is like comparing buy lists with carry bags.

Sometimes I like ads, as long as they are informative, attractive, and non-intrusive. The Ubuntu software center meets those requirements for me.
    Last edited by dh04000; 08-22-2012 at 05:30 PM.

At least they're finally taking their chance, but I don't think USC will be able to compete on this market. It's good that they're showing something at least until Steam is here, certainly some devs will want their app in it.

Quote Originally Posted by dh04000 View Post
    Sometimes I like ads, as long as they are informative, attractive, and non-intrusive. The Ubuntu software center meets those requirements for me.
    Yeah, I would like those ads too, if they were for open source software, not for proprietary software.

And there seems to be no setting to disable ads for proprietary software and show ads for open source software.

Yeah, I would like those ads too, if they were for open source software, not for proprietary software.

And there seems to be no setting to disable ads for proprietary software and show ads for open source software.
    Well, when you invest millions of dollars and build your own industry respected company and OS, you can decide to only show free opensource software n your own software center.

Tell me when you have that done, I'll try it out. A weekend project right?

In the mean time, ignoring non-intrusive ads seems like a good compromise for all.

Is the unity IDE being ported to Linux? As in what you would use to create a game with? Or so far is it just the web player etc.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Any binary-only software goes to /opt as per FHS.
    Can you give me a link to this? Cause it's very strange, cause binary-only must respect the FHS too, to delifer a proper integration in the system.
    My knowledge of /opt was that is to install software that is not provided via the package manager and is commercial software that was provided via .run files or something , it didn't found anything that said that binary-only software goes there.
    Last edited by Thaodan; 08-22-2012 at 07:00 PM.