Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: Canonical Promoting Ubuntu Software Center To Game Devs

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,646

    Default Canonical Promoting Ubuntu Software Center To Game Devs

    Phoronix: Canonical Promoting Ubuntu Software Center To Game Devs

    With the Unity 4.0 game engine gaining native Linux support, Canonical is sponsoring a session at this week's Unite game development conference to promote their Ubuntu Software Center to game developers of this Mono-powered proprietary game engine...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE2NTc

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    67

    Default

    The zombie farm village craze is about to invade Ubuntu!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,175

    Default

    I love what Canonical is doing, and Ubuntu. And that's why I am using Ubuntu myself.

    Having said that, Steam is going to kill USC when it comes to Gaming.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,195

    Default Browser toolbars

    So now when I install something, I will have find icons added everywhere - the panel, the dock, the menu, in applets. Bundling with browser toolbars, browser search provider, and software that change my browser homepage.

    Then when I do a typo when I type an address in the browser I get redirected to some shady search engine.

    When I browse stuff, I get advertisements and popups everywhere?

    Suddenly all my Empathy/Pidgin and Evolution/Thunderbird contacts starts getting mail about viagra, university diplomas and green cards?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    946

    Default

    Canonical is rather promoting Python programming, even their software center is written in a scripted language.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    So now when I install something, I will have find icons added everywhere - the panel, the dock, the menu, in applets. Bundling with browser toolbars, browser search provider, and software that change my browser homepage.

    Then when I do a typo when I type an address in the browser I get redirected to some shady search engine.

    When I browse stuff, I get advertisements and popups everywhere?

    Suddenly all my Empathy/Pidgin and Evolution/Thunderbird contacts starts getting mail about viagra, university diplomas and green cards?

    What the F-Bomb are you talking about?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    Canonical is rather promoting Python programming, even their software center is written in a scripted language.
    Yeah, but they need to make Ubuntu Software Center faster.

    real 0m7.397s
    user 0m5.432s
    sys 0m0.464s

    It's like 5-8 seconds to start it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    241

    Default

    I don't like Steam so much, but it's better than the Ubuntu Software Center for Linux.
    BTW: It might be a bit OT but why the Ubuntu Software Center requires that commercial Software goes to /opt?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thaodan View Post
    I don't like Steam so much, but it's better than the Ubuntu Software Center for Linux.
    BTW: It might be a bit OT but why the Ubuntu Software Center requires that commercial Software goes to /opt?
    I don't know but it sounds like a good idea so they don't tamper with any system files.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Yeah, but they need to make Ubuntu Software Center faster.

    real 0m7.397s
    user 0m5.432s
    sys 0m0.464s

    It's like 5-8 seconds to start it.
    Which is what I'm saying, we need quick starting apps, not the easiest development model possible for script kiddies.

    They should rather go for Vala and D, like Red Hat.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •