Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New X.Org Server 1.13 RC Bumps The ABI

Phoronix: New X.Org Server 1.13 RC Bumps The ABI

Keith Packard released the X.Org Server 1.12.99.905 release on Tuesday, another release candidate of the forthcoming xorg-server 1.13...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

xwayland

Go work on Xwayland!
    Merge Xwayland!
    Improve Xwayland!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Go work on Xwayland!
      Merge Xwayland!
      Improve Xwayland!
      Waiting eagerly for your patch submission and pull request.

Comment

Originally posted by alanc View Post
        Waiting eagerly for your patch submission and pull request.
        I was just wondering, what does Sun developers work on X?

Comment

I was just wondering, what does Sun developers work on X?
          I can't quite figure out what you're trying to ask - are you trying to ask what parts of X do Sun developers (now Oracle developers, though phoronix hasn't retagged me yet) work on? You can easily see in the git logs (or Michael's articles about once or twice a year summarizing who contributes to X.Org code bases) contributions to the core server, clients, libraries, protocol specifications, documentation, and a few drivers (especially keyboard and mouse, since we're one of the OS'es that still use those instead of evdev). Oh, and we also contribute to running the X.Org Foundation - I've been a board member for 3.5 years now, 2 of which as secretary, and Stuart has been a board member & treasurer for much longer than that.

Comment

I can't quite figure out what you're trying to ask - are you trying to ask what parts of X do Sun developers (now Oracle developers, though phoronix hasn't retagged me yet) work on? You can easily see in the git logs (or Michael's articles about once or twice a year summarizing who contributes to X.Org code bases) contributions to the core server, clients, libraries, protocol specifications, documentation, and a few drivers (especially keyboard and mouse, since we're one of the OS'es that still use those instead of evdev). Oh, and we also contribute to running the X.Org Foundation - I've been a board member for 3.5 years now, 2 of which as secretary, and Stuart has been a board member & treasurer for much longer than that.
            Thanks!
            Yeah, that's what I was asking about.

Have Sun/Oracle contributed anything cool or noteworthy to X.org, or just some minor boring fixes?
            What are Oracle working on atm for Xorg?

Will the Solaris Trusted Extensions security module which uses XACE ever be done?
            We've heard about it for years, but it seems it never comes.

Also are they working to run X.org without superuser root privileges?

Comment

Thanks!
              Have Sun/Oracle contributed anything cool or noteworthy to X.org, or just some minor boring fixes?
              Yes, release management, docs, and bug fixes are boring. Sorry that our management and customers are interested in software that works and they can figure out how to use rather than exciting shiny bling.

Though I am biased to think that extending xhost to allow user-based authentication was pretty cool.

Will the Solaris Trusted Extensions security module which uses XACE ever be done?
              We've heard about it for years, but it seems it never comes.
              Have you? I really didn't think most people noticed or cared, especially those running Xorg on non-Solaris kernels who can't use it - the port has been done for years, open sourced, and shipped in OpenSolaris and now Solaris, but really needs some API changes made to core Xorg before it can go upstream, which I've never had time to get to because I wasted too much time on things that benefited users of all platforms instead, such as bug fixes, documentation updates and pushing out releases.
              Of course, I did do the preliminary steps of getting the XACE api's integrated into the master branch of Xorg so we could go forward, which allowed the SELinux support to come in as well.

Also are they working to run X.org without superuser root privileges?
              We've been shipping Xorg in Solaris for years that drops superuser privileges after initialization, but making it run without root ever would basically involve changing our kernel to handle those tasks instead, which would be great for us, and boring to people using other kernels.

Comment

Of course, I did do the preliminary steps of getting the XACE api's integrated into the master branch of Xorg so we could go forward, which allowed the SELinux support to come in as well.
                Cool!
                Does X.org on Linux support SELinux?

We've been shipping Xorg in Solaris for years that drops superuser privileges after initialization, but making it run without root ever would basically involve changing our kernel to handle those tasks instead, which would be great for us, and boring to people using other kernels.
                Cool!
                Why doesn't X.org on Linux drop superuser privileges after initialization?
                Can you please make it do? That would be awesome!

Comment

Cool!
                  Does X.org on Linux support SELinux?
                  Yes, since Xorg 1.6 in 2009.

Comment

Why doesn't X.org on Linux drop superuser privileges after initialization?
                    Can you please make it do? That would be awesome!
                    The real showstopper at the moment is the lack of revoke() support in the kernel. Without that, your input devices are wide open to pretty much anyone at all times.

Alan's already done a hell of a lot for X (and most of it utterly thankless yet totally essential work) over the last god-knows-how-many years, so I'm not sure why you're heckling him at all. What have you done to improve X/Wayland?

Comment

Working...
                    X