3D Stereoscopy in Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D Stereoscopy in Linux

Hi, does anyone know how to get 3D Stereoscopy working in Games using Linux? or what I would need?

On Windows I used a program called "iZ3D" and it worked very well with my 3D TV (with Games that didn't support 3D on their own).
    I connected Laptop to TV via. HDMI, and set up the program (iZ3D) to create two images, which then was converted into 3D (shutter) by my 3D TV (no idea what the feature is called).

Does anyone know anything similar to the program iZ3D on Linux? any hints?

All I could find was "VRizer" (it seems to be old?), but I can't seem to be able to preload it...

I appreciate any input.

I haven't really looked but based on the search for VRizer (which doesn't seem to have any official download or website anymore) I found a project with the name "chromium" which supposedly manipulates opengl rendering in various way and has a dedicated site to stereoscopy: http://chromium.sourceforge.net/doc/stereo.html

I'll try that later.
    Last edited by ChrisXY; 22 August 2012, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Can't edit.

chromium seems deprecated too
      After replacing all python calls with python2 calls and symlinking make to gmake it compiled surprisingly well.
      But it won't run with freeglut 2.8, only with 2.4 and that apparently won't compile since GCC 4.2 (!!).

I also read it only works up to OpenGL 1.5

Comment

Hey Chris, thanks for your input.

I got VRizer working in a 32 bit chroot and xnest .
        It would be great to have it in 64 bit, but for now it should do.

I'll try finding a copy of the source code, as I've heard they did release it, and then I'll compile it for 64 bit support.

For now I'll try configuring VRizer properly and I'll report my results.

The image under the glxgears has been added by VRizer, as I did not configure it.

Comment

I got VRizer working in a 32 bit chroot and xnest .
          It would be great to have it in 64 bit, but for now it should do.

I'll try finding a copy of the source code, as I've heard they did release it, and then I'll compile it for 64 bit support.

For now I'll try configuring VRizer properly and I'll report my results.

The image under the glxgears has been added by VRizer, as I did not configure it.

Comment

I got VRizer working in a 32 bit chroot.
            I'll try to find the source, as I have heard that the source was available for a while.

So far I got it working, but I'll have to try to configure it properly.

Comment

Don't mind the multiple posts, I only noticed after the last one that my posts get "monitored", therefore them not being there after I posted them.

EDIT:
              They aren't being monitored anymore, as my posts show up right after I post them.
              @Mods: Please delete the 2 posts above.
              Last edited by mybug; 24 August 2012, 06:56 AM.

Comment

So I have configured it and gave it a try with Nexuiz and Openarena.

It's buggy with Nexuiz, it seems to me that it is able to create the 2 viewports, but it isn't able to resize them correctly; therefore the 2 viewports are "on top of each other" and "flickering"/"conflicting".

It works with Openarena (haven't tried it on my 3D TV yet), but the viewports are upside-down .

The performance isn't great, but I guess it is due to Xnest and 32bit chroot.

Here's a video of Openarena in case anyone is interested:

Note:
                I wanted to upload it to videobin.org, but it had some kind of error so I had to resort to normal file sharing services, besides, I do not seem to be able to add attachements

Edit:
                My ~/.vrizerrc config so far:
                Code:
                eyedist 0.007
                scale 10.0
                rgstereo n
                setup_enable y
                simulator_enable n
                setup_numscreens 1
                setup_resolution 1024, 768
                setup_viewport 0   0, 0, 512, 768
                setup_viewport 1 512, 0, 512, 768
                setup_eye 0 left
                setup_eye 1 right
                Last edited by mybug; 24 August 2012, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X