No announcement yet.

linux, the very weak system for gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just started useing linux about a month ago. I used to use it when i was younger but it was to confusing for me. I'm beginning to usae it more and more as a regular operating system I must say I'm glad to hear that they are starting to do more programming for it though.

Comment

• Paid/DRM games and app stores not for everyone

Originally posted by DanLamb View Post
      Windows-esque installers are terrible. The Linux repo system works great for FOSS without DRM, but games need a high quality DRM capable app store repo.

Steam is a horrible choice: Steam involves lots of NDAs, Valve taking a massive cut of revenue, and Valve having huge say over product pricing and terms and promotions. That may be somewhat similar to offerings from Apple/Google/Sony/Microsoft, but in some ways Google/Apple do it better with zero NDAs and open pricing models to developers. I'd rather see the Google Play store extend to the desktop than Steam seize control.

The idealistic Linux types should build a more community friendly, quasi-open DRM app store repo service that is legally bound to idealistic principles like zero NDAs and a revenue neutral commitment to being a community service rather than a profit center, open APIs, community involvement, etc.
      I'm not opposed to the folks behind these things offering them for Linux, simply because that can reduce the market share of a paid/DRM operating system, namely Windoze. On the other hand, I'm not going to use them on my own systems. I have true FOSS games like the excellent 0ad RTS game and Scorched3d, but absolutely no paid software. I also remove Ubuntu Software center, etc to remove support for paid software entirely. I also make a point of keeping out support for DRM, but again, I don't want Netflix or Steam users going whole-hog to Windows and using a DRM operating system to go with their DRM media.

The true FOSS games are good enough for me, and besides, I don't want to feed a 250 watt GPU for 3-4 hours everytime I play a longer game comparable to 0ad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Luke View Post
        I'm not opposed to the folks behind these things offering them for Linux, simply because that can reduce the market share of a paid/DRM operating system, namely Windoze. On the other hand, I'm not going to use them on my own systems. I have true FOSS games like the excellent 0ad RTS game and Scorched3d, but absolutely no paid software. I also remove Ubuntu Software center, etc to remove support for paid software entirely. I also make a point of keeping out support for DRM, but again, I don't want Netflix or Steam users going whole-hog to Windows and using a DRM operating system to go with their DRM media.

The true FOSS games are good enough for me, and besides, I don't want to feed a 250 watt GPU for 3-4 hours everytime I play a longer game comparable to 0ad.
        Foss games? what kind of games does Foss support any first game shooters? I did a quick search and i saw a couple games but they were more like flash games by the looks

Comment

• No, I am not playing any FPS titles

Originally posted by 187k4 View Post
          Foss games? what kind of games does Foss support any first game shooters? I did a quick search and i saw a couple games but they were more like flash games by the looks
          I thought some of the OpenArena/Xonotic type games commonly benchmarked here were shooters, but I've never played them. All these games are very large downloads if nothing else.

Comment

Working...
          X