Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
    Kernel updates - speak to nvidia about this
    Nvidia has made abundantly clear that they are unable/unwilling to release their drivers as open-source. The only hope for users rests with the Linux Kernel devs. We would hope they wouldn't continually break the ABI/API with each kernel release, so that we could get a bit more usage out of binary drivers.. But it seems the problem with Linux is that the developers don't really care about users either.
    unlike windows? use windows then?
    Unfortunately, this is the attitude most Linux developers take, and it does cause the majority of users to use Window's instead (Windows Marketshare ~90%, Linux Marketshare ~ 1%). I think we, as Linux users, can all agree we'd like to see Linux become a First-Rate gaming platform. Its about time that Linux developers come off their high horse. We should be working together.
    Last edited by gururise; 28 August 2012, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by gururise View Post
      Linux has many problems that will need to be addressed before it can be used as a first rate gaming platform. The biggest ones, in my opinion are:

• Old OpenGL 3.0 - We are stuck on an OpenGL that is 5.5 years behind the current version and equivalent to DirectX6
      • Kernel upgrades not ABI/API compatible - makes every kernel upgrade require new drivers, which are especially troubling for non OSS drivers (ie. graphic cards).
      • No unified installation package like Windows - too many different packaging systems (RPM, deb, ebuilds, etc.) forces developers to develop a package for every distro!

Hopefully, now that VALVE is porting STEAM to Linux, some of these issues might get addressed, and with Microsoft focusing more on Console Gaming vs. Window's gaming, now is the perfect opportunity for Linux to finally gain ground in the Gaming space.
      *you can develop in OPENGL 4 in linux
      *you can develop just for LTS distro version
      *you can develop just in RPM and DEB and its not a big problem like everyone think

Comment

Nvidia has made abundantly clear that they are unable/unwilling to release their drivers as open-source. The only hope for users rests with the Linux Kernel devs. We would hope they wouldn't continually break the ABI/API with each kernel release, so that we could get a bit more usage out of binary drivers.. But it seems the problem with Linux is that the developers don't really care about users either.

Unfortunately, this is the attitude most Linux developers take, and it does cause the majority of users to use Window's instead (Windows Marketshare ~90%, Linux Marketshare ~ 1%). I think we, as Linux users, can all agree we'd like to see Linux become a First-Rate gaming platform. Its about time that Linux developers come off their high horse. We should be working together.
        The community develops - post a bug, write a patch, do something but as we all know opinions are like arseholes - everyone has one and is mostly full of shit

what you're saying is you want the kernel and xorg devs to better accommodate nvidia - why the hell should they favour one company over another? the answer ofcourse is very simple - spend your monies elsewhere ( if you're like me you'll have old crap you want to keep working - this is another matter )

keep the n00bs on windows plz - did you see what happened to gnome? ( i blame those nubuntu users for requesting crappy features )

Comment

• No unified installation package like Windows - too many different packaging systems (RPM, deb, ebuilds, etc.) forces developers to develop a package for every distro!
          Are you telling that big companies are unable to provide packaging formats like Libre Office, Opera or Synfig do? They can get both fedora or ubuntu at no charge and set up. It is no secret developers built their games on Linux internally, nothing to do with packaging.
          Last edited by finalzone; 28 August 2012, 03:09 PM.

Comment

• and the excuse that linux slow and all this bla bla bla and because of this companies dont develop games for linux are crap

there is just one reason why companies develop games for windows and not for linux and that because most of the users use windows and not linux and that why companies develop just for windows AND THATS THE PROBLEM because that the reason that gamers still use windows ITS A MAGIC CIRCLE

Comment

• Originally posted by nir2142 View Post
              and the excuse that linux slow and all this bla bla bla and because of this companies dont develop games for linux are crap

there is just one reason why companies develop games for windows and not for linux and that because most of the users use windows and not linux and that why companies develop just for windows AND THATS THE PROBLEM because that the reason that gamers still use windows ITS A MAGIC CIRCLE
              I don't think the magic circle appeared by accident either

Comment

• I had works five years in a little french studio game, we were only two developers working on internal engine and tools. Our target were essentially mobile devices (Nintendo DS, iOS, Android, Symbian, Windows CE). We did our developments under Windows, but our main server (subversion, file repo,...) were under ubuntu.

I will not talk about technical aspects, just because it can be solve easily especially when a company decide to investigate on it a little. The last good sample I have in mind is Valve currently porting their engine under linux.

As developer I like the open-source philosophy and I chose to use some libraries of his community like lua, OpenGL/ES, theora,... and Qt only for tools.

A lot of game developers are geek and like to start from ground and targeting only the platform providing the biggest immediate market.
                I used SDL for few projects during my studies, but not in the video game company where a proprietary low level OS abstraction library was chosen. Finally this library stopped to be maintained and iPad support wasn't added, at this point I choose to use directly OS API (Posix, win32) for all low level calls (io files, socket, window,...). For sound Fmod was chosen.
                Why I didn't chose something else?
                1) When we paid, a support is expected (answer obligation)
                2) Internal development provide a great knowledge and allow really specifics behaviors
                3) Open Source lobby?

This is some explanations of why a lot of games aren't software compatible with linux.

After you need to find where are gamers.
                A short answer :

It's a war, just see ads, Microsoft promotes the XBOX 360 for gaming much more than Windows. And if you listen all big editors, PC isn't good enough for the video game business cause of piracy.

Linux don't have enough power in communication to compete with companies, but I think with the growing of development complexity, open source is a really good alternative and android seems to be a good sample of what can be done with it. Unfortunately android promote java when game developers use essentially C++. Mobile developments push developers to realize application based on *nix system (iOS => Mac OS,...).

Now Linux just have to convince editors is able to be a good platform for sells, Valve will show the path.

If all potential Linux gamers are just gamers under Windows today, there is no real revenue source. I think Valve will monitor (in secret) if users will migrate to Linux or if it will be a new kind of users, it's a really important point. Unfortunately I think there is only few new gamers to find with Linux platform.

Comment

• Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                  Are you telling that big companies are unable to provide packaging formats like Libre Office, Opera or Synfig do? They can get both fedora or ubuntu at no charge and set up. It is no secret developers built their games on Linux internally, nothing to do with packaging.
                  Why a developer will create a package? It can't help to debug.

Packaging isn't a problem for developers, but for the marketing department of editors. Marketing department like customize installers,...

But when money is here, a solution to simplify issues can be find

Comment

• Originally posted by nir2142 View Post
                    and the excuse that linux slow and all this bla bla bla and because of this companies dont develop games for linux are crap

To break the ITS A MAGIC CIRCLE editors need to have a threat, maybe Valve can be one for EA, Ubisoft,... With nobody under Linux nobody think they are loosing some revenues.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flamaros View Post
                      To break the ITS A MAGIC CIRCLE editors need to have a threat, maybe Valve can be one for EA, Ubisoft,... With nobody under Linux nobody think they are loosing some revenues.
                      The circle is already broken. Sure, you won't get big AAA games like Call of Duty 9, or Battlefield 4, but of the most of those types of games are complete disappointments to a large number of consumers. EA, Activision, Blizzard and Ubisoft have all jumped the shark, the only developers care about their customers are the smaller developers, many of which will already happily support linux if the linux community supports them.

There is already a large number of quality games on our operating system. What is missing is the ability to buy them in a consistant manner, at a fair price, a quality guarantee, and advertising. Steam will offer all of these, and whilst you might not see a surge of change when its released, the people who do try it will probably be happy with the service.

The rest of this topic is strange. If you want to dispute the fact you can develop working games for linux which will transcend kernel changes, please tell me, how can I still run ut99? Not all games that old will continue to work on Windows, nevermind linux. If anything, your closed source OS games are likely to stop working in some undetermined future, and when the vendors don't offer backwards compatibility, its only going to be more difficult to get around.

Comment

Working...
                      X