Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• linux, the very weak system for gaming

hi all,

why is it, that i have like 50% better average gaming perfomance in windows 7 compared to lubuntu, for example, no matter, what i do? and why is it, that you always get errors, warnings and crashes everytime you install or run something on linux? i believe it is at the time, that developers make linux a gaming plattform, that is better than windows. every year i try linux again and it makes me sick that its still trash in gaming.

this is one video, that shows, what i tried to "explain" here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh-cnaJoGCw

Originally posted by oldskool69 View Post
    what i tried to "explain"
    You didn't.

Try describing your test setup and presenting some actual data.

Comment

LOL try yourself

Comment

Linux isn't suitable for games, mate. I've been running a Linux installation since... forever. About 17 years. It has always sucked for games. The only fun I have with games on Linux is MAME and SNES9x; pretty much the only things that won't result in idiotic glitches. The majority of games always fuck up at something. Probably due to X11 and the various desktop environments having absolutely no standards regarding games. And zero interest in introducing any. From the perspective of X11 and the DEs, games do not exist. They simply don't care about them. So developers have to hack together kludges in order to produce something that kind of works. Microsoft on the other hand always made games a first-class citizen on their operating systems. It's not about drivers, by the way. It's about the very core of the graphical stack not even remotely considering games.

So seriously, what did you expect? You might just as well try to play DVDs on your toaster.

Comment

n00bs! - boom! HEADSHOT!
          wicked sick isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            Linux isn't suitable for games, mate. I've been running a Linux installation since... forever. About 17 years. It has always sucked for games. The only fun I have with games on Linux is MAME and SNES9x; pretty much the only things that won't result in idiotic glitches. The majority of games always fuck up at something. Probably due to X11 and the various desktop environments having absolutely no standards regarding games. And zero interest in introducing any. From the perspective of X11 and the DEs, games do not exist. They simply don't care about them. So developers have to hack together kludges in order to produce something that kind of works. Microsoft on the other hand always made games a first-class citizen on their operating systems. It's not about drivers, by the way. It's about the very core of the graphical stack not even remotely considering games.

So seriously, what did you expect? You might just as well try to play DVDs on your toaster.

Mega Kill!!

Comment

Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
              When I referred to "hacks and kludges", I specifically meant how SDL deals with it, since it gets zero support from X or the DEs and tries to make things work on its own.

Humiliation!!

Comment

When I referred to "hacks and kludges", I specifically meant how SDL deals with it, since it gets zero support from X or the DEs and tries to make things work on its own.

Humiliation!!

"Simple DirectMedia Layer is a cross-platform multimedia library designed to provide low level access to audio, keyboard, mouse, joystick, 3D hardware via OpenGL"

cross platform? X or which ever compositing desktop you choose isn't relevant - it works on windows, mac or even your toaster ... not only does it work - it works well as my n00b munching record will testify

ULTRA KILL!!!

Comment

Sorry man, but you have no clue what you're talking about and what the issues are. Of course SDL is a cross platform library. And it has to use X11 and run inside a DE. The problem isn't with SDL itself, it's with X11 and the DE.

Good luck running SDL games without running X11 and a DE. You're left with 2D framebuffer graphics.

Comment

Good luck running SDL games without running X11 and a DE. You're left with 2D framebuffer graphics.
                    Will SDL not be ported to wayland?

Comment

Working...
                    X