linux, the very weak system for gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gens View Post

here for you, dont be turned off by the fact that the tests are in a windows environment
    basically, turn off vsync and turn on frame rate limiting and your fine
    if going to extremes, use open source nvidia drivers as they dont have "smart" scheduling yet (afaik)
    I think its a lot harder then just turning of Vsync, since you still will have latency problems. I will agree (and have believed for some time) that FPS is a horrible benchmark. The article DOES expose Microstutter for what I always believed it was: Latency.

Comment

• Heya some sensible posts. I`m just going to filter out what I didn`t need, and just look at some of those links.

Me & someone else have started some work on measuring OpenGL jitter, since I have optimized pretty much what I can, by observation now. Also root account has slightly less jitter and bit more performance in Ubuntu. Ubuntu-background damons also count. Doom 3 does things in three passes at times, so maybe that is why it is so jitter-sensitive. Anyway it runs so well now, further improvements can only be done by looking at some numbers.

Ultimately a mini-distro for OpenGL would be the best, compiled with PGO etc.

And btw, Doom 3 already runs much better than on windows. And my windows XP install is minimalized aswell. (less than 100 threads).

Peace Be With You.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paradox Uncreated View Post
        Heya some sensible posts. I`m just going to filter out what I didn`t need, and just look at some of those links.

Me & someone else have started some work on measuring OpenGL jitter, since I have optimized pretty much what I can, by observation now. Also root account has slightly less jitter and bit more performance in Ubuntu. Ubuntu-background damons also count. Doom 3 does things in three passes at times, so maybe that is why it is so jitter-sensitive. Anyway it runs so well now, further improvements can only be done by looking at some numbers.

Ultimately a mini-distro for OpenGL would be the best, compiled with PGO etc.

And btw, Doom 3 already runs much better than on windows. And my windows XP install is minimalized aswell. (less than 100 threads).

Peace Be With You.
        Its not an OGL jitter problem, its an issue with GPU processing. Hence why jitter is so bad when using dual GPU configs.

I suspect your changes are going to cause a lot of people a lot of problems due to inadequate testing. Call me when several generations of supported HW are tested against eachother, in a few dozen (if not hundred) benchmarks, and show no performance regressions, then I'd say enough due-diligence has been performed. When you test only the latest and greatest, you cause someone else who runs an older system a lot of headaches when the scheduler suddenly takes a dump for their H/W configuration.

And as an aside. the amount of threads running is meaningless on a Windows environment, as most of those background threads will never need to run anyways, or will be low priority enough where they won't preempt a runable process.

Comment

• I'm currently running gentoo ~x86_64 with xbmc on my home made games console/htpc using the radeon driver on an amd 4650 gpu

I have several games running via wine such as toca3, race 07 and grand theft auto san andreas - they all work flawlessly with very good performance

well done radeon devs!... and nah its not a weak gaming system - hacky yes but weak no

Comment

• The forum is good and helpful.

Comment

• Originally posted by oldskool69 View Post
              hi all,

why is it, that i have like 50% better average gaming perfomance in windows 7 compared to lubuntu, for example, no matter, what i do? and why is it, that you always get errors, warnings and crashes everytime you install or run something on linux? i believe it is at the time, that developers make linux a gaming plattform, that is better than windows. every year i try linux again and it makes me sick that its still trash in gaming.

this is one video, that shows, what i tried to "explain" here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh-cnaJoGCw
              Gaming sucks on linux because WHO THE HELL CARES?
              Games don't pay the mortgage!

Games are a pointless waste of time. GET A GIRLFRIEND OR GO OUTSIDE.

Comment

• Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                Gaming sucks on linux because WHO THE HELL CARES?

fucktard.

Comment

• Originally posted by droidhacker View Post

I think girlfriends are a much deeper money hole than video games.

Comment

• Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
                    in regards to steamos, mantle, etc. this dudes opinion got destroyed by reality anyway. +1 for gaming on linux!

Comment

• Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
                      At least, these holes offer a chance of positive outcome in... a certain, reproductive, sense.. as well as a possibility of giving additional protective bonuses, like "halfed chance of doing drugs or other BS" synnergetically increased by "50% chance to beating the sense of reality back with a cooking pan, the HD version" and "100% chance to ease up you from pockets contents,.. and bad mood" especially near month's end.
                      Which video game can do that?..

Comment

Working...
                      X