linux, the very weak system for gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    Sorry man, but you have no clue what you're talking about and what the issues are. Of course SDL is a cross platform library. And it has to use X11 and run inside a DE. The problem isn't with SDL itself, it's with X11 and the DE.

Good luck running SDL games without running X11 and a DE. You're left with 2D framebuffer graphics.

forgiveness? i bow to your superior knowledge and intellect... oh wait no

IT WORKS AMAZINGLY WELL WITH X11!! and if you're stupid enough to be running a compositing window manager with a fancy DE and then encounter problems such as games failing and power consumption you can always quit said desktop env and run xinit ut2004 (for eg)

DOMINATING!!

Comment

Ah, now I get it. You're trolling. You had me there, pal.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
        Will SDL not be ported to wayland?
        I suppose it will. Someday. It's a WIP right now. Just like Wayland.

Btw, can you point me to the gaming support enhancements in Wayland? I'm not able to find anything.

Comment

Hm, this is a tough one: why isn't an OS designed for servers able to beat Windows at its own game? Too complicated, I can't figure it out.

PS: If you whine about the performance in games compared to windows, try a video card from nvidia

Comment

Ah, now I get it. You're trolling. You had me there, pal.
            depends on your definition trolling - what you call trolling i call exposing bullshitters

Comment

Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
              forgiveness? i bow to your superior knowledge and intellect... oh wait no

IT WORKS AMAZINGLY WELL WITH X11!! and if you're stupid enough to be running a compositing window manager with a fancy DE and then encounter problems such as games failing and power consumption you can always quit said desktop env and run xinit ut2004 (for eg)

DOMINATING!!
              Yeah, I'm sure the average user would love to start their games via xinit to work around problems with their desktop environment or window manager. You can't be serious.

Comment

Originally posted by nej_simon View Post
                Yeah, I'm sure the average user would love to start their games via xinit to work around problems with their desktop environment or window manager. You can't be serious.

play on windows then and die like the rest...... what you call problems are not problems just bad choices

GODLIKE!!!!

Comment

I have always found that native games work very well under linux. For stuff in wine it is a mixed bag; some works better, some works worse, and some works not at all. My performane in windows also definately isn't 150% my linux performance (unless you compare the open drivers on linux with the closed windows drivers, then the performance on linux is terrible.)

Comment

So developers have to hack together kludges in order to produce something that kind of works. Microsoft on the other hand always made games a first-class citizen on their operating systems. It's not about drivers, by the way. It's about the very core of the graphical stack not even remotely considering games.
                    why you say that developing a game is easier on windows ? that its glitch free ? that linux/x11 dosen't support direct rendering ?
                    wine bugzilla has bugs marked something like "needed cuz of a dirty hack on windows" and dirty hacks can get you some extra fps(a platform independent hack woud be Fast inverse square root, and platform dependant woud be like in what order to send vertices and how to make the gfx card swallow it faster)

problem is games are made for windows
                    its not really a problem since over 70% of gamers use windows and i doubt many of them know how anything works on their computer so games are made for windows for a simple reason to sell better(port to linux takes dev time that is money, and trust me they calculate with cold blood is it worth it)

oh, and only nvidia gets as much if not more fps on linux

i got 2 games that run better on linux on my rig, warcraft tft and xonotic that is linux native

PS having an opengl accelerated desktop is mostly rly bad for other opengl aps cuz of interference and as there is many backends for accelerating desktop it woud be hell to make a native game that cooperates with them(or making them cooperate with it)

one of the worst as i see in the phoronix benchmarks is unity, and my common sense tells me no DM shud use more then 100-200mb(remember "huge" file/page/stuff in computer terms is 4mb, enlightenment that im using right now with all its bling(xcept compiz, which is some 10mb in ram) uses 37mb on a 64bit sistem + X 27mb.
                    And that's relative as X adapts its caches (i guess enlightenment too)
                    Last edited by gens; 22 August 2012, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oldskool69 View Post
                      hi all,

why is it, that i have like 50% better average gaming perfomance in windows 7 compared to lubuntu, for example, no matter, what i do? and why is it, that you always get errors, warnings and crashes everytime you install or run something on linux? i believe it is at the time, that developers make linux a gaming plattform, that is better than windows. every year i try linux again and it makes me sick that its still trash in gaming.

this is one video, that shows, what i tried to "explain" here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh-cnaJoGCw
                      The default desktop environment on Ubuntu (Unity) has a problem that causes the framerate to drop in games (bug #988079). You might want to try starting "Ubuntu Classic (No effects)" or Unity 2D instead for gaming.

Unfortunately third party development for Linux is difficult due to a lack of stable API's. There are often incompatibilities between different Linux distributions, and between different versions of the same distribution - even if they are released just a few months apart. There is also a lack of a standardized way of distributing software that works across different Linux distributions. If there isn't a package for your specific distribution you'll usually end up with a .tar.gz and a howto. That's why you often need to use various hacks and tricks to get third party software working. Hopefully the situation will improve since both Ubuntu and Gnome is aiming for API stability now.
                      Last edited by nej_simon; 22 August 2012, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X