Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: linux, the very weak system for gaming

Hybrid View

Angry linux, the very weak system for gaming

hi all,

why is it, that i have like 50% better average gaming perfomance in windows 7 compared to lubuntu, for example, no matter, what i do? and why is it, that you always get errors, warnings and crashes everytime you install or run something on linux? i believe it is at the time, that developers make linux a gaming plattform, that is better than windows. every year i try linux again and it makes me sick that its still trash in gaming.

this is one video, that shows, what i tried to "explain" here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh-cnaJoGCw

Quote Originally Posted by oldskool69 View Post
    what i tried to "explain"
    You didn't.

Try describing your test setup and presenting some actual data.

LOL try yourself

Linux isn't suitable for games, mate. I've been running a Linux installation since... forever. About 17 years. It has always sucked for games. The only fun I have with games on Linux is MAME and SNES9x; pretty much the only things that won't result in idiotic glitches. The majority of games always fuck up at something. Probably due to X11 and the various desktop environments having absolutely no standards regarding games. And zero interest in introducing any. From the perspective of X11 and the DEs, games do not exist. They simply don't care about them. So developers have to hack together kludges in order to produce something that kind of works. Microsoft on the other hand always made games a first-class citizen on their operating systems. It's not about drivers, by the way. It's about the very core of the graphical stack not even remotely considering games.

So seriously, what did you expect? You might just as well try to play DVDs on your toaster.

n00bs! - boom! HEADSHOT!
    wicked sick isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Linux isn't suitable for games, mate. I've been running a Linux installation since... forever. About 17 years. It has always sucked for games. The only fun I have with games on Linux is MAME and SNES9x; pretty much the only things that won't result in idiotic glitches. The majority of games always fuck up at something. Probably due to X11 and the various desktop environments having absolutely no standards regarding games. And zero interest in introducing any. From the perspective of X11 and the DEs, games do not exist. They simply don't care about them. So developers have to hack together kludges in order to produce something that kind of works. Microsoft on the other hand always made games a first-class citizen on their operating systems. It's not about drivers, by the way. It's about the very core of the graphical stack not even remotely considering games.

So seriously, what did you expect? You might just as well try to play DVDs on your toaster.

http://www.libsdl.org/

Mega Kill!!

Quote Originally Posted by D0pamine View Post
    When I referred to "hacks and kludges", I specifically meant how SDL deals with it, since it gets zero support from X or the DEs and tries to make things work on its own.

Humiliation!!

So developers have to hack together kludges in order to produce something that kind of works. Microsoft on the other hand always made games a first-class citizen on their operating systems. It's not about drivers, by the way. It's about the very core of the graphical stack not even remotely considering games.
    why you say that developing a game is easier on windows ? that its glitch free ? that linux/x11 dosen't support direct rendering ?
    wine bugzilla has bugs marked something like "needed cuz of a dirty hack on windows" and dirty hacks can get you some extra fps(a platform independent hack woud be Fast inverse square root, and platform dependant woud be like in what order to send vertices and how to make the gfx card swallow it faster)

problem is games are made for windows
    its not really a problem since over 70% of gamers use windows and i doubt many of them know how anything works on their computer so games are made for windows for a simple reason to sell better(port to linux takes dev time that is money, and trust me they calculate with cold blood is it worth it)

oh, and only nvidia gets as much if not more fps on linux

i got 2 games that run better on linux on my rig, warcraft tft and xonotic that is linux native

PS having an opengl accelerated desktop is mostly rly bad for other opengl aps cuz of interference and as there is many backends for accelerating desktop it woud be hell to make a native game that cooperates with them(or making them cooperate with it)

one of the worst as i see in the phoronix benchmarks is unity, and my common sense tells me no DM shud use more then 100-200mb(remember "huge" file/page/stuff in computer terms is 4mb, enlightenment that im using right now with all its bling(xcept compiz, which is some 10mb in ram) uses 37mb on a 64bit sistem + X 27mb.
    And that's relative as X adapts its caches (i guess enlightenment too)
    Last edited by gens; 08-22-2012 at 01:48 PM.

Probably due to X11 and the various desktop environments having absolutely no standards regarding games. And zero interest in introducing any. From the perspective of X11 and the DEs, games do not exist. They simply don't care about them.
    In fairness, the modern DEs just don't work at anything at all. It's not just limited to games.

I don't know about that, mate.
    Around 2005 or so (not sure anymore) I remember I was playing McGee's Alice with better FPS on Debian than on Windows...
    Yes, I was using the Nvidia blob but still...

Now since I move to the free Radeon driver, although we are more than half a decade later....
    Sad story...