Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 12.10 Pushes Sandy Bridge Further

Phoronix: Ubuntu 12.10 Pushes Sandy Bridge Further

Recently I have shown that Intel graphics hit a high point with the Linux 3.6 kernel and that Ubuntu 12.10 is faster with Intel hardware compared to the current Ubuntu 12.04 LTS release. In this article are more Ubuntu 12.04 LTS vs. Ubuntu 12.10 benchmarks to highlight the performance improvements for Intel Sandy Bridge graphics that will be found in Ubuntu 12.10.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's a nice improvement. Would some of that be due to the improvement in Unity and Compiz also?

Comment

On average 10% more power just by making the software better. That's cool.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: Ubuntu 12.10 Pushes Sandy Bridge Further

Recently I have shown that Intel graphics hit a high point with the Linux 3.6 kernel and that Ubuntu 12.10 is faster with Intel hardware compared to the current Ubuntu 12.04 LTS release. In this article are more Ubuntu 12.04 LTS vs. Ubuntu 12.10 benchmarks to highlight the performance improvements for Intel Sandy Bridge graphics that will be found in Ubuntu 12.10.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=17797
        If you consider that the SNB i5-2520m Michael is using is clocked 40% faster in kernel 3.5 (Ubuntu 12.10) than in kernel 3.2 (Ubuntu 12.04) the question becomes why are not the test results showing a consumerate gain?

Comment

Originally posted by ickle View Post
          If you consider that the SNB i5-2520m Michael is using is clocked 40% faster in kernel 3.5 (Ubuntu 12.10) than in kernel 3.2 (Ubuntu 12.04) the question becomes why are not the test results showing a consumerate gain?
          Is that CPU clock, GPU clock, turbo differences, or all of the above?

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
            Is that CPU clock, GPU clock, turbo differences, or all of the above?
            The render clock (GPU). Our initial render power management code had the oversight that we set the upper frequency to a fixed 900MHz, rather than the real value for the chip. In Michael's case, that is 1250MHz. You can check what speed your GPU is currently running at with /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/i915_cur_delayinfo, and if we are sucessfully enabling low power idle states with /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/i915_drpc_info.

Comment

Ew, another interface under a *debug* option that should be available to all users.

Please consider moving it out of debugfs to any proper interface that's always there (proc, sys, ioctl, etc etc).

Comment

Working...
              X