intel p31, p33, g33 chips difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intel p31, p33, g33 chips difference

hello all, i hope i can find and learn the difference btw the new tech in chips mobo and cpu as soon as getting on this forum, to let u know, when i took the decision to change my pc rig, i found myself going out of my cave to see all that new tech out.
    my last pc rig was when i had the msi 875 neo2fsr mobo, and after this chip or mobo everything is new for me.
    now i know about the duo core, the core 2 duo, core 2 quad cpu.
    945, 965 975 chips are as i can expect same of 875 865, but supporting the new duo core system and sure with more features.
    now what is all the x38, p31, p33, p35, g33, g31 about
    let me know which one is the newer and what is the main difference btw each one from the other, wich one can handle OC wich not.

on the CPu side, do u suggest the quad or the 8 core for 3d rendering purpose? i knew that duo over 3 ghz is not multuthreaded or something like this, so will u go for more cores less ghz or less cores more ghz.

thank u in advance for any help u can give here.

p31/g31 = low cost chip bundled usually with ich7 (unoffical fsb 1333 support)
    p35/g33/g35 = standard chip to work with ich9(r) for current fsb 1333 cpus
    x38 = highend chip with pci-e 2.0 and official support of fsb 1600 (usually p35 can do the same in oc mode)

g31/g33 vga core similar to 945g (dx9)
    g35 vga core similar to 965gm (dx10 possible)

Comment

thanks kano for ur great reply, now i have some questions, the x38 is ready for OC or not, when i checked the MSI mobo, i realized that the only x38 MOBO is not DOT (OC including)
      what is the difference btw 945 and 965 vga?
      what is the VIIV intel technology?

btw p35, g33, g35......do u think the p35 is good for the value speed and rendering stress on the core duo quad? or do i need really the x38?

one final question for the CPU types:
      what is the difference btw Core 2 Quad Q6600 , Core 2 Extreme QX6850, Kentsfield, is there any other intel quad model?
      which one is quad 8mb cache?
      thanks for all the help.
      Last edited by vuedesprit; 11 January 2008, 06:29 AM.

Comment

P35 should be fast enough for all current quad cores, do not get any older chipset. These are only on very cheap boards (especially the 945 and work in permanent oc mode then). Q6600 is still an interesting chip - at least till the Q9xxx series is available. A standard QX6850 is just a Q6600 @ 333 fsb Well the QX chips have no locked multi but thats usually not that big problem as you can get fast ram chips too. Best check mem compatibilty lists for your favorite board.

Comment

Originally posted by vuedesprit View Post
          what is the difference btw 945 and 965 vga?
          The base difference is that it has more shader pipelines. If you're comparing the 945G with the 965G one-to-one instead of the other 965 variants, you're also looking at Intel's first pass at providing hardware Vertex Shader support (Transform, Clipping, Lighting computation...) on one of their GPUs. It's using a bit of tech from Imagination Technologies (The PowerVR people...) allegedly. If you can get a 965G, you should have something that's solidly able to be a fallback part for Compiz and maybe a few older 3D games.

what is the VIIV intel technology?
          It's more of a marketing thing, like "Centrino" is. ViiV covers the core and CPU lineup "intended" for use with Home Theater PC's.

Comment

The G965/G35 is quite different from the 945's core structurally. The 965 is much more programmable and can handle more branches and loops. I forget if it's Turing complete but it's at least much closer.

In addition the full 965/G35 specs have been released, but not the 945's/G33/Q35's as yet..

Comment

Q35 should not be different to G35 when you look at the gfx core. Also 965GM is more similar to G35 than the 965G as 965G support was working directly with Xorg 7.1 and 965GM was not.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                Q35 should not be different to G35 when you look at the gfx core. Also 965GM is more similar to G35 than the 965G as 965G support was working directly with Xorg 7.1 and 965GM was not.
                I just pulled up intel's spec page and it says Q35 has GMA 3100 and Shader Model 2... so it doesn't sound like the newer core to me.

Comment

Working...
                X