Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.4 Kernel Will Be Supported For The Long-Term

Phoronix: Linux 3.4 Kernel Will Be Supported For The Long-Term

Greg Kroah-Hartman has announced that the Linux 3.4 kernel will be his next "-longterm" kernel that will be supported for at least the next two years...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Unfortunately Debian is frozen at 3.2

Comment

It's easy enough to run under the latest kernel if you want to. I'm running 3.5.1 and 3.5.2 on several Debian machines ( Wheezy and Squeeze )

On Debian, it's a pretty quick and painless process to build a new kernel, install, and reboot once your initial .config file is set up.

Comment

Originally posted by sgcb View Post
        Never mind.FYI,
        Ben Hutchings has confirmed that he will maintain Linux kernel version 3.2 as a long-term kernel at kernel.org for an indefinite amount of time. While this was announced by the developer last weekend, it has now also been mentioned by the primary stable and long-term kernel maintainer, Greg Kroah-Hartman, in the release email for Linux 3.2.16; with the release of this version on Monday morning, Kroah-Hartman has discontinued the maintenance of Linux 3.2 and handed it over to Hutchings.

Comment

Originally posted by mgmartin View Post
          It's easy enough to run under the latest kernel if you want to. I'm running 3.5.1 and 3.5.2 on several Debian machines ( Wheezy and Squeeze )

On Debian, it's a pretty quick and painless process to build a new kernel, install, and reboot once your initial .config file is set up.
          Its not difficult to run 3.5.x but I've found the sid and experimental packages are causing problems. For example I can't install skype or linux-headers-3.5-trunk-amd64

Comment

Originally posted by sgcb View Post
            You can get the newest kernels compiled for Debian unstable from siduction.org !

Comment

Originally posted by ulenrich View Post
              You can get the newest kernels compiled for Debian unstable from siduction.org !
              And also http://aptosid.com

Comment

Thanks all, but I'd rather stick with debian proper repos. The only reason I would want a more recent kernel is to play with the newer graphics goodies which would mean I'd have to compile the entire stack all the time.

Comment

Working...
                X