Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    It's definitely easier to use a blob.

Why would somebody try to learn the intricacies of GPU driver programming just to get his $300 card to work right?
    many hands make light work!!

Comment

Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
      many hands make light work!!
      Not when the work requires extreme skill and knowledge... and doesn't pay.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        Not when the work requires extreme skill and knowledge... and doesn't pay.
        You only learn things to earn monies and get rich quick?

Comment

Drivers need to work on user's systems, regardless of their license. I hope both AMD and NVidia will support Wayland if it establishes itself in due time.

Comment

Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
            So you don't know but yet you shout with much finger pointing at X/Y/Z company as if you do know? Wouldn't you be better frequenting (H)ard forums or Win forums or something? I thought phoronix was a FLOSS biased forum?

You could learn how and learn how to want to do? or is it easier to whinge and use a blob?
            You missed it completely. I stated two facts. There are two areas that don't "work" (period)

PM is something that awaits approval to be published and might happen soon (bridgman do your magic ). And video decoding/encoding (UVD to be precise) might happen or might not. Both depend more or less on AMD and not on the mesa/G3D people which do an awesome job.

On a personal note i am not FOSS biased but GET THINGS DONE biased. For many workcases FOSS drivers work fine, for others are useless at their current state. OpenCL for example doesn't work.

Comment

as long as wayland is not shipped in most of the major linux distros as default desktop, that non-support via proprietary driver is fine IMHO.

Wayland will need some time to mature just like Btrfs (and its fsck support)

Comment

Originally posted by Temar View Post
                This!

The current open source drivers are useless and until this changes I'll stick with the binary blobs.
                Useless? I've been running them for years.

You shouldn't talk about things you haven't even tried.

Comment

Lol @ all the trolls here. Most mesa/kernel devs don't really don't get discouraged by the type of bickering and tomfoolery we see in threads like this, because they know that the people bickering will likely never contribute a single useful thing to linux or the ecosystem. You're the peanut gallery.

I am optimistic about the Catalyst/Wayland thing. When the transition occurs, dri/mesa should be a bit more mature, as will 2d video acceleration. This allows Catalyst developers to focus on X11 'now' and a have graceful manner in which to retire the fglrx stack when Wayland becomes prominent. While mesa/dri has picked up in recent times (thanx mesa guys), I look forward to seeing even greater momentum in the near future. Perhaps AMD will send JB some additional resources from the catalyst team.

F

Comment

Who cares?

It's wise that the "AMD source" used language like "not anytime soon" - it does not completely preclude the possibility of them actually supporting it. If whomever said it, was absolute about it - e.g. "won't support it" or "will never support it", they would have pissed off a lot of people.

About the only reason AMD exists is because Intel wants them to ... In my view, AMD should bank on the 'coolness factor', by actually being the first to support Wayland or similar initiatives, even if they make no money off it, at least initially.... e.g. like right now, help out with the Wayland effort by giving developers what they need, use that agility that a behemoth like Intel perhaps lacks, to create a niche in the up n coming OSX/Windows killer - Wayland w/X, and then eventually Wayland w/optional X. Instead, Intel is robbing both, AMD + NVidia of the coolness factor by actively working on opensource Intel HD drivers as a means to sell the next gazillion motherboards, and while at it, creating value for the world at large by aiding the Wayland effort.... Not only do they get to make money, but people will actually like them. Only thing Intel (that is, its leadership) has to worry about is staying in integrity and respecting ethics, as well as staying ecologically friendly and making sure its army of employees are treated fairly instead of like slaves.... and the sky is the limit for them. Given Intel's record so far, as well as the kind of CEOs they pick, they've got a bright future ahead of them... IMHO.

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    Phoronix: AMD Catalyst Will Not Support Wayland Anytime Soon

Last week we heard news that NVIDIA is at least evaluating support for their binary graphics driver with Wayland, but on the AMD Catalyst binary driver side it doesn't look like they will be supporting the next-generation Linux display architecture "anytime soon", according to a reliable source...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE2NDQ

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                      Useless? I've been running them for years.

You shouldn't talk about things you haven't even tried.
                      It is useless if you want to do anything more than desktop compositing. For games, it is practically useless. Also, if you want video acceleration, good luck. Also, I like the latest version of OpenGL now, as opposed to so long from now that once they finally reach that version that it is irrelevant.

Comment

Working...
                      X