Catalyst Drivers Incorrectly Identify Panasonic TV as Projector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalyst Drivers Incorrectly Identify Panasonic TV as Projector

Hi all - long time reader, first time poster. I've finally decided to consolidate my media server and HTPC into a single machine, and am having some challenges with the AMD drivers on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS desktop and my Panasonic plasma flat panel.

It started with the underscan issue, but I'm on top of that - thanks everyone who previously posted solutions!

The trouble is - and I've seen this in a few other older posts - is the drivers are identifying my Panasonic TC-P50S30 plasma flat panel as a projector. None of the older posts ever come to a conclusion as to how to correct this, so I'm bumping up to the top. The misidentification means there's no overscan adjustment in the CCC GUI, and it also lacks all of the other HDTV controls.

Here's my setup:
    • Ubuntu 12.04 LTS desktop 64bit
    • Radeon HD6450
    • Panasonic TC-P50S30 flat panel DTV (1080p native resolution)
    • AMD Catalyst 12.6 drivers
    • All HDMI connections (no DVI->HDMI adaptors)

Has anyone come to a resolution as to how to force the driver to recognize this as a DFP instead of a projector? If not, I'm going to try my hand at an inexpensive nVidia card for this setup

Thanks!

We also have the same configuration and the same "problem". Although the problem really only was with Overscan. Just do

sudo aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0

And disable Overscan on the Panasonic TV itself and that worked for me.

Comment

d2kx,

Thanks, that does fix the overscan issue perfectly, although the CCC still recognizes the DTV as a projector. Think there's any harm in that? Since I'm using this as a HTPC, I don't want to give up too much fine grain control over the picture settings.

Comment

I don't know if there's any harm in that. If the CCC properly recognises the HDTV, it gives a few more options to use different resolutions and refresh rates etc. but I only always used XBMC and started it from its own desktop session and it was all working as expected, so I didn't really care much for the "projector" detection.

Comment

Working...
        X