KMSCON Is Getting Ready To Kick The Kernel Console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blazing Fast

I just timed the time it took to display dmesg on Ubuntu 12.04 and kmscon is blazing fast even without DRM enabled:

kernel VT: 1.476 seconds
    kmscon: 0.188 seconds

Thanks for bringing this project to our attention, Michael. I hope to see this integrated in distros once it gets a bit more testing under its belt.

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
      That would be very cool, 1080p videos in a KMS/FB console with tmux and stuff. Fuck yeah!
      Without the overhead of X and the DE environment. Would be cool if games could be played that way too, as long as the console's configured properly. Maybe if some games required X, some dummy X server could be implemented

Comment

Sexy fonts on a console? Now, this I gotta' see.

Comment

Originally posted by dfx. View Post
          What The Fuck ? it's a system's terminal in userspace, why it would be even trying to integrate with any DE ?!
          So when I am on GNOME in VT7, then I press Ctrl+Alt+F1 and switch to VT1, then I will have the same background.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            So when I am on GNOME in VT7, then I press Ctrl+Alt+F1 and switch to VT1, then I will have the same background.
            It would likely be much better to have a command to set the background and then a login script that queried gsettings and called said command. Integration is nifty and all, but this is not quite the appropriate place for it.

Comment

In fact it should not really matter what DE you use and the settings should be kept separate but you should be able to have it scripted where you want to get the settings from

Comment

Couple of notes

Hey guys, first post (though I've been a reader for about 3 or 4 years lol), 2 notes on this project from my own experience

1) I compiled KMSCON from git master today on Fedora 17 64bit, satisfied all optional dependencies as reported by autogen. When I moved onto make it would refuse to compile, erroring out somewhere in the xkbcommon and GLES portions. After rerunning ./configure and passing "--disable-xkbcommon --disable-gles2", make would now compile correctly.

2) Despite what the overview on https://github.com/dvdhrm/kmscon says, make install SEEMS to work-- it reports as exiting fine, haven't actually tried running it yet because I was over SSH.

I'm kind of interested in what this project is going to do. Maybe Fedora will pick it up for Fedora 19 or 20, though maybe not considering how long it took them to pick up 256 color support.
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Why not implement a smallish/minimal/dummy Wayland server instead and let games use that?
                  There was talk in the mailing list for a solution to the VT problem that will involve WL and systemd. And also the subsequent post on his blog tells a bit more http://dvdhrm.wordpress.com/2012/08/...off-config_vt/

Comment

Why not implement a smallish/minimal/dummy Wayland server instead and let games use that?
                    A very minimal or dummy Wayland server could possibly work too for games running on the console without using much extra resources for those games that requires X/Wayland

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                      If his stuff are crap why its his code that is used the most and not the code of people that know better.
                      same reason most people use Windows? maybe ? maybe some other bullshit reason, since quality of things does not correlate much with price or popularity anywhere.

That would be very cool, 1080p videos in a KMS/FB console with tmux and stuff. Fuck yeah!
                      Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                      Without the overhead of X and the DE environment. Would be cool if games could be played that way too, as long as the console's configured properly. Maybe if some games required X, some dummy X server could be implemented
                      Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
                      Sexy fonts on a console? Now, this I gotta' see.
                      indeed ! after all, console is a nice DE too.

Comment

Working...
                      X