Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which way to go?

Congrats on the forums launch.

I accidentally tumbled into this site a few weeks ago, and ever since have come back to read the reviews.

Ok, so here's my question. I currently run Linux on a Tyan 2895 (K8we). Need to build another high end workstation within the next 2 months (has to be ready by Sept 15). I would like to stick with Tyan, but need to use areca PCI-X RAID. Do you suggest I go with AMD socket F, or switch to Woodcrest?

Thanks!

What are the functions of this machine? It largely depends upon what the machine will be used for... Is there any particular budget?

Also, how long do you plan on maintaining the machine? If you intend to make some continual upgrades to the box for some time, Intel may be the way go to with FB-DIMMs and the benefits they will pose in the future.

While I won't be able to disclose much on AMD Socket F at this time, if you can post some more details, I can try to provide some other tid-bits of advice for your system.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thanks Michael for your reply and for reading my previous post.

Without violating any NDAs, would you expect socket F to be a better performer than Woodcrest then?

We have a tendecy here to build the absolutely best machine you can get (within limits, of course), and then don't perform any upgrades whatsoever on it, unless some component breaks down.

The next machines we need to build will be used in the same way we use our current Tyan K8WE's: mainly software development (Java and C++) and testing; sometimes they will also be temporarily (but frequently) working as Java app servers (Tomcat + JBOSS or IBM WebSphere). My own workstation also has a nice nvidia card (7900GTX) so that I can play some games. 90% of the time they run SuSE Linux (either SLES 9, or SuSE Pro 9.3, 10 or 10.1)

Current K8WE rigs have 4 GB RAM, 7900GTX, Areca PCI-X card and 4 to 8 WD 150 Raptors. One has a 3ware card instead of the Areca.

Thanks for reading.

Comment

If I were building a new powerful server for coding and like tasks, within the next couple of months, it likely be a Woodcrest . Socket F will bring some nice things to the table, but in my opinion may not be enough to anilate Woodcrest, but we shall see shortly (BTW, Socket F won't adopt FB-DIMMs).

For motherboard recommendations, Tyan's new Tempest series is quite nice, and those motherboards should be available shortly.
        Michael Larabel

Comment

Yes, we've always used Tyan. I personally think the Tempest i5000XT looks great. Any reviews coming?

But is it just me, but I think that the Intel 5000X chipset is no match for nvidia?

I really wish that socket F were a match for Woodcrest. We've been buying AMD for quite a long time already, and feel more comfortable with their architecture, but on the other hand, we need great performance -- better than what we currently have with the Opteron 285.

Comment

Originally posted by rrpalma
            Yes, we've always used Tyan. I personally think the Tempest i5000XT looks great. Any reviews coming?

But is it just me, but I think that the Intel 5000X chipset is no match for nvidia?

I really wish that socket F were a match for Woodcrest. We've been buying AMD for quite a long time already, and feel more comfortable with their architecture, but on the other hand, we need great performance -- better than what we currently have with the Opteron 285.
            I'll work on getting ahold of a i5000XT, now that it looks like the design is final.

NVIDIA competition? 2200 + 800 = ?
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
            X