Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Driver Begins Stacking Changes For Linux 3.7

Phoronix: Radeon Driver Begins Stacking Changes For Linux 3.7

The Radeon DRM driver already has a few features in its development branch that is being prepared for merging into the future Linux 3.7 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

now have backlight control on imac 27 2011 !

Comment

Originally posted by kapouer View Post
      Source? This would be truly amazing. I'm running Linux on an imac 27" + 27" cinema display at work (where you can choose your OS, but not the machine) and backlight is a huge problem.

Currently, the only decent workaround seems to be using redshift which somewhat dims the screen.

Comment

It depends on how Apple implemented the backlight control. If they used the controller on the GPU, it may work with the new code. If they implemented it via some custom controller (often the case with Apple products) it won't help.

Comment

I gave the links here:
          I've just installed Ubuntu 11.04 (64 bit) on the latest iMac 27' (12,2 - May 2011) and thought I'd let other interested people know that I didn't encounter any issues. The only thing I had to do was to add "options snd-hda-intel model=mbp55" and turn up the front speakers via "alsamixer" to get better sound quality although sound did work out of the box (was just bit tinny). Sound works out of the box. I only had to turn the volume up on the "front speaker" and un-mute the "surround

but it'd be a better idea to use the branch the article is talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
            It depends on how Apple implemented the backlight control. If they used the controller on the GPU, it may work with the new code. If they implemented it via some custom controller (often the case with Apple products) it won't help.
            This is nice you read this I applied some of your patches to linux 3.5 and now i have a working backlight control.

Comment

So what generation chipsets does the Radeon ACPI improvements support. Will there ever be improvements for older generation chipsets?

Comment

Originally posted by Decatf View Post
                So what generation chipsets does the Radeon ACPI improvements support. Will there ever be improvements for older generation chipsets?
                The atom backlight control should work on all atom capable systems that utilize the on-chip backlight controller (r4xx-SI). The AMD specific ACPI methods work on any systems that implement them which I think started in the r6xx timeframe.

Comment

Working...
                X