No announcement yet.

Ubuntu's Unity Has Room To Improve Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I only saw 2D having a slight higher fps then llvmp.

Comment

"Ubuntu's Unity Has Room To Improve Performance"

Can you actually run out of room on that one?

Comment

As one can see from these quick Intel Linux graphics results, the removal of the Unity 2D is coming even while the default Unity desktop with Compiz still isn't as fast.
        I'm not sure that characterisation is entirely fair.

From the benchmarks, in some cases 3D is faster, and in some cases 2D is faster. The only non-trivial difference is with Xonotic 0.6.

Based on this very limited set of (3D gaming) benchmarks, dropping Unity 2D in order to simplify things seems reasonable.

Comment

Have there been any GNOME Shell benchmarks? I'm curious if GNOME 3.x has introduced any regressions that are being picked up in Unity. It appears to be a new source of tearing on nvidia hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            "Ubuntu's Unity Has Room To Improve Performance"

Can you actually run out of room on that one?
            You can, if the perf under the DE is the same as under bare X.

Comment

I like unity3d, but the performance is pretty poor. For example on my video card (intel ironlake) the dash blur makes everything noticeably laggy when I open the dash, especially if I open it over a video or animated image or something. Static blur doesn't seem to work right for me (no matter what it only shows the wallpaper), and no blur makes the dash totally unreadable. If they can't make it perform well they should have just kept the dash the way it was in previous versions (less transparency, darker color, no blur).

Comment

Working...
              X