Linux Is A Lemon On The Retina MacBook Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dstaubsauger View Post
    why would anyone want to buy hardware from apple and then put linux on it?
    fixed for greater accuracy

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      trolled for great justice
      So they can continue being smug while pretending to write a screenplay in Starbucks on their 4 year old laptop that is no longer supported from the manufacturer.

Comment

Let's all toss random insults at emergent technology because the OS that we like doesn't (yet) work on it! It's like listening the two old muppets in the balcony.

F

Comment

I wouldn't buy hardware that does not support or is not supported by the OS I want to use.

Apple is in my black list and it will always be that way.

Comment

Comments about R***** aren't worth a thing without screenshot examples from DEs.

But who knows, maybe that's stuff for another copycat article?

Comment

Why would someone spend that much money on a Mac and then use Linux on it?

Comment

And if you are going to buy a laptop to run Linux on why wouldn't you just buy something from Zareason, System76 or Ohava? Really? Why dick around with some POS that may only half work half of the time when you can get something you know will work 100% and will support a smaller company instead of a gigantic sure happy megacorp?

Comment

Sorry, Michael, NOT A LEMON! But don't buy is right

OK, MIchael, you made me subscribe to comment on your utter piece of cr*ap article. The way you phrased the article makes it sound like it's somehow Linux's fault that it doesn't work on brand new closed hardware with no documentation. Sheesh, way to get lost in the reality distortion field!

I'm typing this on an MBP with the HiDPI screen, 16G RAM and 512G SSD, and it's pretty darn good. In fact the Unity DE is more usable than OSX, unless all your OSX apps are HiDPI. I tried to run Linux as a VM under OSX, but the (OSX) experience was so bad I switched to running Ubuntu 12.04 natively instead. Sure 12.04 doesn't work perfectly out of the box, but neither does OSX. You can't even change font sizes on OSX, for crying out loud! (You can buy a $20 app for that. SERIOUSLY!)

The trackpad is awful under both OSX and Linux if you click with one hand and move the cursor with the other. One-handed scrolling and clicking... meh, no thanks.

$10 USB ethernet and wifi adapters can be had for networking. Ethernet is a hardware limitation (no ethernet port) and the b43 wifi driver is a little flaky with encrypted connections. Sleep/waking up work flawlessly and very fast. Amazing, considering.

So if it's "prrety darn good", why do I agree that it should be avoided? Simply put: there's better out there (the Thinkpad X1 Carbon for one) at much better prices. I had no choice in my hardware selection (yeah, poor me, $3000 laptop ;-) because we only buy Apple at work.
                  Apart from the trackpad's missing buttons, lack of HiDPI apps and font size issues, there are some baffling design lapses in the whole package:
                  - so-so keyboard
                  - sharp edges everywhere, ouch, makes me want to file it down in a few places to make it more comfortable. It just feels unfinished and impractical.
                  - a dongle for everything: the price of the DVI adapter is enough to buy a whole new monitor
                  - switching between internal and external screens is not as smooth under OSX as under Linux - the latter makes it far easier to place the launcher and switch font sizes to match a particular screen.
                  - of course Apple has become more and more immoral as time goes by, so I wouldn't give my own money to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                    And if you are going to buy a laptop to run Linux on why wouldn't you just buy something from Zareason, System76 or Ohava? Really? Why dick around with some POS that may only half work half of the time when you can get something you know will work 100% and will support a smaller company instead of a gigantic sure happy megacorp?
                    When those smaller companies offer equivalent features, such as the high-res screen, aluminium chassis, backlit keyboard, battery life.

Comment

Originally posted by hengestone View Post
                      I'm typing this on an MBP with the HiDPI screen, 16G RAM and 512G SSD
                      That is about the hardware in my laptop I bought 2 years ago... from Clevo. Not sure what the screen means...

Comment

Working...
                      X