No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 12.10 Drops Unity 2D Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unity does not run well on my Core 2 Duo laptop with an r500 card.

I don't use Ubuntu as my main OS but as a secondary one on my laptop. It was very bad with the battery life and it made the laptop produce a lot of heat. The heat problem was solved by switching to Unity 2D. Now what am I supposed to do?

Comment

Possibly off topic

At this point Ubuntu has become like so many PC video games, unplayable.

Well, if you have an I7 then have fun. Pentium 4's suck major wind on Ubuntu v12.04.

They sucked hard on 11, 10.04 and all the way back to 8. Windows Vista and 7 sucks on them to.

XP runs nice. But that's Xorg 7.3 technology.

Another thing I don't understand is why everyone is making do with this crap?

Gnome Shell users just accept their fate same as KDE. For God sake, quit using this shit so

the developers get the message! You do know there are companies paid to post positive comments?

I puke in my mouth reading some of the fan comments. "Works for me, I love it." Do you? Or did you just

take your bi-polar medication today? Nobody likes anything they have to fight to get it to work for them.

Wonder why Google hasn't migrated to the lastest LTS.

Good luck everyone. Staying on this train will find you wrecked.

Adios

Unattainium. The new Linux desktop.

But nothing is new under the sun. This mess has happened before and will continue to happen again.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
        At this point Ubuntu has become like so many PC video games, unplayable.

Well, if you have an I7 then have fun. Pentium 4's suck major wind on Ubuntu v12.04.

They sucked hard on 11, 10.04 and all the way back to 8. Windows Vista and 7 sucks on them to.

XP runs nice. But that's Xorg 7.3 technology.
        What? Ubuntu has run fine on a p4 all the way up to at least 10.04.
        You say Win7 and Vista also sucked on it. It's the fault of the hardware. Every operating system is demanding more resources then that CPU you used could handle. Don't blame the OS when you barely hit the system requirements.

Another thing I don't understand is why everyone is making do with this crap?

Gnome Shell users just accept their fate same as KDE. For God sake, quit using this shit so

the developers get the message!
        Do you live under a rock?
        People who use gnome shell like it. A lot of people hate gnome shell. They don't use it because they felt it was terrible. The people who are using it do so because they like it. That is not "accepting their fate". A lot of people have left Gnome.

KDE? KDE is getting better every release. KDE 4.0 was a disaster but that's the past. I recently switched to KDE 4.9. I love it.

You do know there are companies paid to post positive comments?
        How is this relevant? You think KDE or gnome hires people to give them good reviews? LOL.

I puke in my mouth reading some of the fan comments. "Works for me, I love it." Do you? Or did you just

take your bi-polar medication today?
        Fuck you. I love how you assume if someone likes something you do not like, they must be bipolar. Your opinion is not fact.

Nobody likes anything they have to fight to get it to work for them.
        If software X doesn't work for you, don't use it. It works for other people.

Wonder why Google hasn't migrated to the lastest LTS.
        Look:
        Upgrading to Ubuntu 12.04

Ubuntu systems at Google are upgraded every LTS release. The entire process of upgrading can take as much as 4 months and it is also quite expensive as one reboot or a small change can cost them as much as 1 million dollars.

This time, however, Ubuntu 10.04 LTS workstations at Google won't be upgraded to Precise until next year.

Unity? KDE?

Google employees love to use KDE systems and they will be really happy when their systems are upgraded to Precise as lots of great work has been done on KDE since Lucid was released. However, not many employees like new UI changes meant for consumers and not developers. Some of the Google employees also requested removing Unity and Gnome 3 and using xmonad instead.

Lastly he said that 2 years for an LTS release is quite reasonable and gives them enough time prepare things.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
          Most of the performance and related problems of Unity, especially with OpenGL/games, are going to be fixed with the Unity 5.16 update for Ubuntu 12.04 which is going within the next few weeks. Even more improvements are coming with Ubuntu 12.10.
          I hope this is true. Many of these performance problems are related with nVidia HW which are wide spread especially among people who want to have a good 3D performance. These people are not very happy right now. A pure desktop experience is with AMD/ATI and new drivers quite painless in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by LostinSpacetime View Post
            I hope this is true. Many of these performance problems are related with nVidia HW which are wide spread especially among people who want to have a good 3D performance. These people are not very happy right now. A pure desktop experience is with AMD/ATI and new drivers quite painless in my experience.
            I think it probably is true. I know in the last while that compiz seems to have improved with Nvidia (i build compiz frequently), and i noticed in one of the bug reporting, pertaining to nvidia, that the problem has now been fixed ~ but since i don't use Ubuntu (or Unity, even though i could) i am not positive if the changes have made it into Unity/Ubuntu yet. I also recall reading somewhere in the (compiz) bug reports that some improvements to Unity were also coming, very shortly.

Hopefully, the Unity and Compiz teams will sort out these problems for you guys. I would hope that Valve specifically targeting Ubuntu might also help the process of working out any of the bottlenecks on the desktop ~ i suppose time will tell.

Comment

I have run Fedora 17 on several computers but have always been kicked back to Fallback mode when default Shell was not compatible - granted, this has always been on older systems. But then all my new ones work with graphical acceleration.

Still, with regards to running Linux on older computers with Pentium 4s, I am going to be actively moving my brothers older rig to CentOS in the fall. This has mostly to due with not wanting to have to redo the system every year, and also the fact that he runs Catalyst on it and has an older R600 card, but I also hope it will help the performance of the system somewhat.

But it is not necessarily about the distro - I have had older computers work great with Fedora 17 and LXDE. In the end, we may just have to accept that it is unreasonable to run Gnome, Unity, or KDE on older hardware. At least there are decent alternatives.

Comment

What? Ubuntu has run fine on a p4 all the way up to at least 10.04.
                Gee, really? Tried playing an AAC laden video file under 10.04 on a Pentium 4?
                Without a custom kernel it's unbearable.

You say Win7 and Vista also sucked on it. It's the fault of the hardware.
                Right, the hardware is too old for Vista. Agreed.

Every operating system is demanding more resources then that CPU you used could handle.
                Let's get one thing straight, Linux -- the operating system -- doesn't demand much of nothing off this system.
                XOrg on the other hand, requires too much. It just doesn't scale like the kernel does. (Thanks Linus)

Don't blame the OS when you barely hit the system requirements.
                384MB ram is the only requirement listed on their site. My test system has 1GB.

Do you live under a rock?
                Yes.

Fuck you. I love how you assume if someone likes something you do not like, they must be bipolar. Your opinion is not fact.
                Case in point, I hope you took your meds.

And did you read it or even watch it?

>>Some of the Google employees also requested removing Unity and Gnome 3 and using xmonad instead.<<
                ---Disdain for the product---

>>can take as much as 4 months and it is also quite expensive as one reboot or a small change can cost them as much as 1 million dollars<<
                Usually 4 months in the past....

>>2 years for an LTS release is quite reasonable and gives them enough time prepare things.<<
                2 years to migrate to 12.04... Wow they're letting this product simmer for a while.

Now it is exciting there is a generic kernel available without pae. Just too bad the installer didn't detect the lack of memory to start with. But you'll just jump back to the fact my hardware is too old...

Oh well

Comment

Working...
                X