Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 12.10 Drops Unity 2D Desktop

Phoronix: Ubuntu 12.10 Drops Unity 2D Desktop

As expected, Ubuntu developers have done away with the Unity 2D desktop environment spin for the forthcoming Ubuntu 12.10 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

LLVM pipe works generally well only on recent machines. If you have P4-era CPU, you can forget about it. I don't understand why they needed Unity 2D in first place then.

Comment

are there gnome panel/xfce panel plugins that one can use to rebuild the unity-2d-panel completely?

Comment

This is not good. There will be a noticeable (negative) impact on gaming performance. I can't believe Ubuntu is doing something like this at a time like this.

Comment

Does anybody know if NX Free Edition (or FreeNX) will work via Unity 3D + llvmpipe in Ubuntu 12.10? That's what I still used unity-2d for in Ubuntu 12.04.

Comment

Ubuntu needs:
            * A new theme, the default is OK, but should be improved
            * Better compatibility with qt and kde apps
            * Start to looking for a new file manager. I suggest dolphin, is not that hard to hack!
            * Keep improving performance

Comment

WHY?

Unity 3D severely impacts the performance of games!
              It isn't just me, there are many benchmarks that show the same.

Comment

Practically 100% of systems that are powerful enough to run a composited desktop on llvmpipe have workable 3d hardware, with the exception of things like SERVERS, on which you would NEVER run a composited desktop since you can't afford to have the thing crash and burn.

The rest of the hardware that doesn't have working 3d hardware is NOT POWERFUL ENOUGH to run composited desktop on llvmpipe.

THAT INCLUDES x86!!!!!

The difference with Fedora, is that you can still go to System Settings --> Details --> Graphics --> Force Fallback, and achieve a usable desktop.

Comment

Not so good!

I'm having a nVidia GT-240 which suffers badly from performance problems with Unity.
                  I was playing Oilrush in Ubuntu 11.10 without problems at the highest detail level. After upgrading to 12.04 the performance got much worse and I'm having tearing like artifacts even if I go to the lowest detail level. The artifact looks like a 400x400px block in the center. I also noticed this when watching some ProjectM visualizations with Clementine. These problems do not occur with Ubuntu2D. ProblemType: Bug DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04 Package: xorg 1:7.6+12ubuntu1 ProcVersionSignature: ...

The only way for me to play a game was to switch to Unity2D. Now I'm having a problem and I believe I'm not the only one. This is quite a bad timing with the Steam release coming soon. Ubuntu might miss an opportunity here.

Comment

Because of this, as I am running bleeding edge Ubuntu 12.10 and using Nvidia proprietary driver, I have switched to the xubuntu-desktop(xfce) and using glx-dock as launcher. It looks pretty much as a carbon copy of the OSX-desktop, and is very low on resources. I may never go back to Unity as this works rather ok, but it is to early to say for sure

Comment

Working...
                    X