Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME-Ubuntu Flavor Looking At "GNObuntu"

Phoronix: GNOME-Ubuntu Flavor Looking At "GNObuntu"

Ubuntu developers are looking at using the name "GNObuntu" their GNOME flavor of Ubuntu Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Still lots of possibilities, how about
    47ubuntu?

Comment

How about just naming it Ubuntu GNOME? And likewise, Ubuntu KDE, Ubuntu XFCE and so on? The current names are very silly and not very appealing. Kubuntu sounds like my cat throwing up.

Comment

I don't really care for GNOME Shell but it's nice if those people use GNObuntu instead of Fedora, so we all may have the same, stable base at some point (Ubuntu) and fragmentation is no longer an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
          So they give us a distro with gnome as default, for people who actually got stuff to do.
          This effort is not sponsored by Canonical.

Originally posted by d2kx
          I don't really care for GNOME Shell but it's nice if those people use GNObuntu instead of Fedora.
          Yes. It's definetly nice that they use distribution that does very little upstream developement and ships with heavily patched libaries.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
            They're slowly realizing that putting Unity as default was a shitty decision but won't admit it. So they give us a distro with gnome as default, for people who actually got stuff to do.
            Unfortunately gnome isn't either....
            /troll

Comment

And suddenly, at the end of the day, at least one good message!

Thank's Michael. (for delivering the message) and thank's Gnome devs for finally doing what need's to be done!

Comment

If they had gone with GNUbuntu, RMS would have been happy as can be

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
                  This effort is not sponsored by Canonical.

Yes. It's definetly nice that they use distribution that does very little upstream developement and ships with heavily patched libaries.
                  You're arguing 2 sides of the coin there. Afaik Ubuntu make changes to Gnome, which aren't accepted upstream. it's not a lack of willingness to commit upstream, but the fact that upstream don't want the changes Ubuntu has made which is why stuff isn't accepted upstream and the Ubuntu libraries are different.

I'm running Arch atm, but found that to get touchscreen working as expected I was installing the Ubuntu patched gtk libraries through aur. having these patched libraries is actually very useful, I just wish the patches could find their way into vanilla gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
                    Nobody cares. My usage/non-usage will not affect upstream relations in any way.

Comment

Working...
                    X