issues with my laptop having AMD 7970M GPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• issues with my laptop having AMD 7970M GPU

I have clevo laptop with model P150EM that comes with intel core-i7 3610M and AMD 7970M GPU . MY problem is that AMD catalyst does not detect my GPU . I downloaded amd catalyst through additional driver page , it installs fine but it doesn't not run because it doesn't detect my gpu . Iam running Ubuntu 12.4 .In terminal there it shows there 2 gpu one for intel and the other is amd . However, I suspected that intel graphics are ones being and used by the system and may or may not blocking my amd gpu from being detected by Ubuntu . I tried many methods installing amd catalyst and run it but it always fail including manual installtion. . I also tries using the hybrid switching graphics tutorial but it also failed :

If you do want to make the switch possible between your Intel and your AMD graphics cards, then this post is for you. If you do not own a AMD hybrid graphic card, please leave this thread, and post your problems in a thread made for AMD single graphic or Intel single graphic. Edit: The solution seems not to work with ATI 5xxx graphic cards, try at your own risk. Warning: Works only for muxless systems. Warning 2: Check if your BIOS is updated, if not update it ! (You will need Windows).

Unfortunately , I don't have a BIOS option to turn off intel graphics and switch only to dedicated graphics . Please I am stuck . I tried everything but so far no solution . I would be appreciated if somebody help me find solution. Thanks

Try with Catalyst 12.8, when it will be available (today).

Comment

I am going to buy a similar notebook soon, so I have looked at that a little.

It uses the successor to PowerXpress, it's called "Enduro" and is wired together with the intel card, so it doesn't have manual switching via BIOS or software.

In windows there seem to be some performance issues with it resulting in a loss of up to >10 FPS apparently due to driver issues. An oddity is that games show the intel card as renderer, even if they are rendering on the HD 7970M.
      So it seems to be very closely integrated.

I haven't seen any reports on how it works on linux but I have faith that the recent prime/dma-buf will soon allow offloading the rendering to the dedicated card and maybe flgrx will work soon with it too. Maybe, just maybe even together.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
        Try with Catalyst 12.8, when it will be available (today).
        No I have not tried yet but I have feeling that it will be the same thing . hopefully i am wrong . Will report later

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
          I am going to buy a similar notebook soon, so I have looked at that a little.

It uses the successor to PowerXpress, it's called "Enduro" and is wired together with the intel card, so it doesn't have manual switching via BIOS or software.

In windows there seem to be some performance issues with it resulting in a loss of up to >10 FPS apparently due to driver issues. An oddity is that games show the intel card as renderer, even if they are rendering on the HD 7970M.
          So it seems to be very closely integrated.

I haven't seen any reports on how it works on linux but I have faith that the recent prime/dma-buf will soon allow offloading the rendering to the dedicated card and maybe flgrx will work soon with it too. Maybe, just maybe even together.
          I know about the enduro issue but i will know that it will be fixed soon as stated by amd. However, your answer is partially right , enduro is not the problem here since it power saving feature which is not related to detecting hardware but rather its system is not recognizing the card because 2 gpu are running simultaneously and no way to turn off intel one at least on clevo machine. on aliwneare machine they have option to turn off intel graphics and thier amd 7970m works on linux. my ububtu detects and run intel 4000 but not amd 7970m

Comment

Now it's available: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/am...x86.x86_64.zip
            Follow this manual: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu

Comment

Ya I followed this method for installing the drivers. I just ran 12.8 drivers but with no luck again.Now there is even a bigger problem. when I finished installing 12.8 and it did not run , i ran update manager for ubnutu , i updates the system and while i was updating i read in the manager that there is new intel driver update. the system installed the new updates , rebooted , tried to launch amd catalyst to hope there is some influence from new intel drive, now amd catalyts wont even launch when i click on the icon . it used beforre to launch and tell me no amd hardware detected and closes, now there is nothing. So i tired to remove it but it refuses to remove from terminal . what should I do now ?. I ran the driver again to overwrite installtion ion but it tells me to remove the fgrlx driver installed !. sigh the ubuntu update screwed me over

Comment

after googling for 2 hrs I found a command for forcing un-installing the driver without integrity check . I now have 12.8 but still doesn't recognize any amd hardware . aticonfig command doesn't work in terminal just if anybody asks. the weird thing is that in additional drivers manager it display fgrlx but the catalyst doesn't detect hardware (7970m)

Comment

Do you use package generation installation method?
                  /usr/share/fglrx/atigetsysteminfo.sh works?

Comment

Do you use package generation installation method?
                    /usr/share/fglrx/atigetsysteminfo.sh works?
                    what method is that ? never seen it before. btw, I am still noob at linux but I am learning a lot . anyway I did not encounter this. I assume you navigate to directory and run this file ?. if so i will do and see

Comment

Working...
                    X