issues with my laptop having AMD 7970M GPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any solution?

Catalyst also doesn't detect my Radeon 7970m.. Is there still no solution available?

Comment

No solution or help. I have posted on a dozen AMD/ATI, Linux forums. I have a Alienware Mx18 R2 with crossfire 7970's. I have tried Ubuntu, BackTrack, BackBox and driver versions from 12.6 to 12.9 beta. I have tried open source drivers also. No luck or help in sight.
      Last edited by teknikk7; 12 October 2012, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Dear sirs

Can you please help me?

I am trying to install OpenVMS on my new Raspberry Pi and it's not going so well.

I know I am trying to install an unsupported operating system on hardware that was not designed for it, but I want to plunge ahead anyway.

I know I could have read the reviews and the specifications and bought hardware that supported my operating system, but I was intrigued by the hardware and I figured I could get it to run with some tweaking.

So please join me in endless hours of head-banging futility and help me in my impossible task.

Comment

Originally posted by frantaylor View Post
          Can you please help me?

I am trying to install OpenVMS on my new Raspberry Pi and it's not going so well.

I know I am trying to install an unsupported operating system on hardware that was not designed for it, but I want to plunge ahead anyway.

I know I could have read the reviews and the specifications and bought hardware that supported my operating system, but I was intrigued by the hardware and I figured I could get it to run with some tweaking.

So please join me in endless hours of head-banging futility and help me in my impossible task.
          Don't bother, Linux is only designed to run on old outdated hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by teknikk7 View Post
            No solution or help. I have posted on a dozen AMD/ATI, Linux forums. I have a Alienware Mx18 R2 with crossfire 7970's. I have tried Ubuntu, BackTrack, BackBox and driver versions from 12.6 to 12.9 beta. I have tried open source drivers also. No luck or help in sight.
            Would you like to add your voice to http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=555 ?

Comment

Works now with Catalyst 12.10 on Ubuntu 12.04. Use this guide to get iGPU working.

Comment

Have you guys managed to get Amd 7970m Working ?. I , today did fresh
                installation of ubuntu 12.10 and tried both drivers version from Ubuntu's
                restrcited fglrx-driver post update and from AMD's website 12.11 version
                driver. Both installs , however, when restarting the system after completing
                installation unity disappear and only the desktop shows appear on screen , so I
                cant navigate to anything . Anybody encounter this problem ?

Comment

Originally posted by king601 View Post
                  Hi

In 12.10 you will get this if you have not installed the linux-headers package. Although it is not shown as a dependency, catalyst does not work without this. Install linux-headers-generic package and then install fglrx from repository. It should work. The same issue I had encountered on my ubuntu 12.10 install as well

Comment

Originally posted by king601 View Post
                    Catalyst 12.10 seems to have a higher version number (fglrx) than Catalyst 12.11 Beta. The 7970M only works with Catalyst 12.10, which unfortunately doesn't support Ubuntu 12.10's version of XOrg (12.11 Beta does, but that one doesn't detect the radeon).

On Ubuntu 12.04 Catalyst 12.10 detects my 7970M and works just fine (and fast ^^).

Comment

Originally posted by frantaylor View Post
                      Can you please help me?

This quote made my day. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X