X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
    Good luck with that! LOL
    What's the problem with Slackware ?!?
    No matter it was one of the last distros that i tested several years ago, it end up to be my favorite...i'm using it right now

Very stable, very snappy, very configurable, very easy to install blobs, (re)compile kernels, etc...aaahhhh....yes....and the audio simply works out of the box with multimedia and games

ps:I have nothing against Systemd....then again never used it

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
      systemd is not yet in Ubuntu. But from what I heard it will be....fuck shoving more crap down our throats....I'd go to windows but fuck windows 8 their also shoving even more crap down our throats.
      Shuttleworth would have to die before systemd makes it into Ubuntu.

As recently as April he's said no way it's going to happen.

Comment

File system changes, mkinitcpio... This?! Arch needs to slow the eff down I love it but the recent changes borked my last install to the point where chroot couldn't save it. Now after setting it up (without install framework. fun fun...) if it breaks again I am going to have to jump to a stable distro just to relax for a month!

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          Shuttleworth would have to die before systemd makes it into Ubuntu.

As recently as April he's said no way it's going to happen.
          I want to believe that the Spaceman is smart enough to change his mind on this.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
            I want to believe that the Spaceman is smart enough to change his mind on this.
            If they're smart over at Ubuntu they'd probably support Debian's investigation of OpenRC, and -in case it happens- follow its adoption.

Comment

So what makes systemd so awesome?
              It's written by the PulseAudio author. That alone makes it l33t.

Oh, and it also makes the system boot extremely fast. Not sure how important that is to people.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                It's written by the PulseAudio author. That alone makes it l33t.

Oh, and it also makes the system boot extremely fast. Not sure how important that is to people.
                How much faster is it than, e.g., Upstart for comparable boot jobs? (Putting aside the earlier Phoronix hysterics article for a moment.)

Comment

Not sure what to think of this.

I understand the reasons but at the same time what I always loved about Arch and, I thought, was one of it's selling points, was it's old school and simple BSD-like init system.

It seems almost a bit un-Arch like, but meh, I'm sure it will be handled (hopefully) well and as far as I'm aware Systemd has backwards compatibility with the current init scripts, meaning you can sort have the best of both worlds anyway? I dunno, I'm no expert on this, I'm just a user.

Comment

How much faster is it than, e.g., Upstart for comparable boot jobs? (Putting aside the earlier Phoronix hysterics article for a moment.)
                    2.8 Seconds. Case closed. Kernel + Userspace

Probably could save some time by adding "quiet" to kernel line because console slows boot down.

I like systemd it's not harder to use systemctl start xy.service than /etc/rc.d/networt start other than that
                    in my day to day work I don't encounter any advantages or disadvantages. Kind of miss the old rc.conf though.
                    When I set up my PC with the new install scripts I had to look up all the different files and what they contain.
                    Most of them don't exist when you set up you pc. A blank rc.conf with LOCALE= HOSTNAME= etc. makes it
                    easier to get everything pre configured without having to remember anything.

Comment

Oh well. Archlinux used to be my favorite distro on the Linux side. I liked the KISS principle, transparency and so on. The last time I tried systemd, it made my encrypted LVM system unbootable with no obvious way to fix it. Good thing I moved on...

Comment

Working...
                      X