Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC Compiler Is Up To 7.3 Million Lines Of Code

Phoronix: GCC Compiler Is Up To 7.3 Million Lines Of Code

Here's some staggering statistics about the development of GCC, the GNU Compiler Collection...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The most interesting question is where these code increases are situated. For example, if the majority of the increase is in the testsuite, that's good news. If they are in the compiler code, probably not so good. If they are in architecture specific code, then that's probably okay.

Comment

For Michael

WTF Michael, do you listen to our complaints or not?
      I think I will read linux news somewhere else since you continue to use that big, ugly, non-transparent watermark. Change it or remove it, please.

Comment

Sometimes its very interesting going past the last image of the article... and not realizing its not part of the article.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          WTF Michael, do you listen to our complaints or not?
          I think I will read linux news somewhere else since you continue to use that big, ugly, non-transparent watermark. Change it or remove it, please.
          May have to email him directly :/

Comment

Your statistics are misleading

Before 1997, the GCC release manager (RMS up through about version 2.5.5, Richard Kenner from then until the EGCS revolution) did all of the commits. This means that counting commits as their contributions does not work.

Both RMS and Kenner were big contributors; RMS did the first few GCC releases entirely on his own. But Phoronix has made a mistake in combining together pre-EGCS and post-EGCS commits.

Comment

Working...
            X