NVIDIA 304.37 Linux Driver Brings 41 Official Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    Oh, and Intel and AMD contribute to the kernel, Nvidia doesn't. But they have special requests.
    Really?

Code:
    $ git log | grep "@nvidia.com" | wc -l

Comment

They can offer exactly the same thing Intel and AMD offer. They simply refuse to do it.
      As far as i know (although i could be wrong, and bridgeman can correct me) AMD's blob isn't using dmabuf, either.

'Oh, and Intel and AMD contribute to the kernel, Nvidia doesn't. But they have special requests.
      Where did you come up with that?

Originally posted by Nvidia
      '...We are a very active participant in the ARM Linux kernel. For the latest 3.4 ARM kernel – the next-gen kernel to be used on future Linux, Android, and Chrome distributions – Nvidia ranks second in terms of total lines changed and fourth in terms of number of changesets for all employers or organisations.'
      So nvidia, doesn't contribute to the linux kernel? That's weird that you would claim they contribute nothing, when they are a heavy contributor, at least in the ARM linux kernel (and being as ARM is very popular, i think it should be taken into account). They also have contributed to X.org and probably other things, as well. Furthermore, there is nothing wrong with them requesting to use a new feature in the linux kernel, if they feel it will benefit Nvidia users... and who knows, had they been able to use it - they may have actually ended up contributing some patches to help improve dmabuf (although that is speculation, i admit).

And personally, I don't care if Intel and AMD contribute more, because at the end of the day - they could've contributed 10x the amount that Nvidia has ~ yet Nvidia's drivers slaughter both of those companies linux drivers, and their hardware slaughters ANYTHING Intel is putting out. AMD makes comparable hardware, it's just too bad, their blob is always falling behind.

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
        As far as i know (although i could be wrong, and bridgeman can correct me) AMD's blob isn't using dmabuf, either.
        I'm curious to know too because I would think that dma-buf would be key for their APU and heterogeneous compute strategies.

Comment

why are people so mad at what nvidia is doing to *their* drivers for *their* customer who *choose* to use *their* drivers...

If you don't like nvidia, don't buy nvidia simple as that. That is why I havn't owned a piece of sony equipment for over 10years...

Comment

Originally posted by Naib View Post
            why are people so mad at what nvidia is doing to *their* drivers for *their* customer who *choose* to use *their* drivers...
            Envy. NVidia *does* offer the best support for Linux and many people are like "I want that too", but then complain about non-Freeness.

Comment

But their open drivers are.

So nvidia, doesn't contribute to the linux kernel? That's weird that you would claim they contribute nothing, when they are a heavy contributor, at least in the ARM linux kernel (and being as ARM is very popular, i think it should be taken into account).
              Not to the DRM/graphics part, which is where Intel is doing lots of heavy lifting. I should have been more specific.

Comment

But their open drivers are.
                Sure, Radeon is ~ but Radeon also (while decent) is somewhat incomplete, and doesn't even come close to touching Nvidia, nor Catalyst.

Not to the DRM/graphics part, which is where Intel is doing lots of heavy lifting. I should have been more specific.
                and for all of Intel's 'heavy lifting' ~ their GPUs still don't touch Nvidia, nor does the perfomance or features match Nvidia.

Regardless, you claimed Nvidia doesn't contribute to the kernel - when that simply is not true. ~ and i am not trying to start a fight, just pointing out the somewhat obvious, here.

Originally posted by Naib View Post

If you don't like nvidia, don't buy nvidia simple as that. That is why I havn't owned a piece of sony equipment for over 10years...
                asdx, should take that advice, rather than bitching in almost every nvidia thread.

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                Envy. NVidia *does* offer the best support for Linux and many people are like "I want that too", but then complain about non-Freeness.
                For sure, they offer the best support. And even if Nivida isn't doing what people would like them too - the fact that they make the best drivers HAS had a positive effect overall for linux, even if they do piss off some kernel developers.
                Last edited by ninez; 17 August 2012, 11:17 AM.

Comment

and for all of Intel's 'heavy lifting' ~ their GPUs still don't touch Nvidia, nor does the perfomance or features match Nvidia.
                  That's a hardware issue, their drivers are top-notch!

Comment

My understanding from the last Phoronix benchmark is that the open Intel Linux drivers got curb-stomped by the closed Windows drivers?

Comment

• Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                      it's not just a hardware issue, Intel's drivers do NOT match Nvidia's and if you don't believe me ~ then go do a comparison of what they implement (as far as standards, like OpenGL) vs. Nvidia...

Intel's drivers are 'decent' NOT 'top-notch'.

Comment

Working...
                      X