No announcement yet.

The Samsung report - What can we learn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Samsung report - What can we learn?

I was taking a look at Samsung's report when they were comparing their Android implementation to iOS. While unimportant, I want to clarify that my opinion is that Samsung 'did' blatantly copy a number of Apple's UI concepts, and that I am absolutely fine with this and do not feel that it was immoral, improper, or underhanded. When I was a professional guitarist, only a small percent of my playing was truly original. The rest was inspired by those that came before me.

Looking at Samsung's internal report, I wonder how much of what they discovered could be leveraged to improve the look and feel of typical linux DE's (Gnome, KDE, etc). I also wonder if anyone has done a qualitative analysis of OSX when compared to KDE/Gnome/E17.

Either way, the report is pretty fascinating to me, and probably a worthwhile read.

F
    Last edited by russofris; 13 August 2012, 12:05 PM.

Originally posted by russofris View Post
    I also wonder if anyone has done a qualitative analysis of OSX when compared to KDE/Gnome/E17.

F
    I don't think they have the resources to do something like that. They are not companies after all. They might get inspired by some of its features but thats all i think.

And to add to that i am not sure how easily someone with knowledge or ideas or designs can get involved in a project where certain people do certain stuff. ie if i go to Raster (random choice i just don't know who is responsible for the other DEs) and say "Hey i have this cool designs (icons panels etc),UI and UX ideas will you code them in e17" the answer is probably going to be "Sod off"
    Last edited by 89c51; 13 August 2012, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by khono
      I don't think that 's a new thing in business according to Chinese companies particularly Samsung. In fact before cellphones brand they did the same with Adidas or Nike brand.
      삼성전자 (Samsung Electronics) is Korean company.

Comment

Agreed, It's nothing new for companies to do this. All companies do competition comparisons. It's rare that the reports become public though, which is why I found the analysis so fascinating.

Comment

According to Apple's view of what is patent infringement all cars are the same. We know this isn't true. Form follows function, it is that simple.

Comment

Well, since iPhone was a ripoff of another Korean company (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_Prada), this is essentially poetic justice.

Naturally, money talks in the justice system, so LG cannot sue Apple.

Comment

There are 4 Android mobile phone cell phones for each and every iphone 3gs mailed within the subsequent 1 / 4 in the calendar year, as outlined by investigation company IDC.
              Which is up at a rate associated with two. 5 to 1 within the same time not too long ago.
              The particular success associated with Samsung's Android mobile phone cell phones offers helped Google's os prolong the dominance within the smart dataphone market.
              Samsung along with cell phone designers mailed just about 105 zillion Android mobile phone smartphones on the market within the April-June 1 / 4, providing Android mobile phone 68% in the globally market, up from 47% not too long ago.
              The gains came up typically at the purchase associated with Blackberry mobile phones cell phones created by Exploration with Action in addition to Symbian cell phones made typically through Nokia.
              Each discovered the market write about fall beneath 5%.
              Nokia has become creating cell phones of which utilize Microsoft company Corp's Windows method.

Comment

Imo the problem is that the software patent system is a system of ownership of ideas, not just of big inventions, the latter take like 0.01% of all software patents.

Remember how recently Oracle sued Google asking literally billions of $ because they found a small portion of a function handling an exception exactly as in Oracle's source code, which even the clueless judge found totally improper to ask such a big pile of money for such a simple thing. This is unregulated capitalism at its worst. It's like accidentally stepping slightly on someone's toes and him suing you demanding for you to be executed.
                Last edited by mark45; 30 August 2012, 03:56 AM.

Comment

apple is a sick corporation, would they be able to have their way you would be able to buy nothing but apple products and would be shot if you attempted to jailbreak them.

People installing linux in a mac is like taking a diabetic to a sugar factory

at least now people are starting to realize just how bad apple is and how retarded appletards are.

apple and microsoft are dinosaurs and they need to die and go extinct.

at least something funny came out of it

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
                    apple is a sick corporation, would they be able to have their way you would be able to buy nothing but apple products and would be shot if you attempted to jailbreak them.

People installing linux in a mac is like taking a diabetic to a sugar factory

at least now people are starting to realize just how bad apple is and how retarded appletards are.

apple and microsoft are dinosaurs and they need to die and go extinct.

at least something funny came out of it

http://www.quickmeme.com/Scumbag-Apple/?upcoming
                    Let's all blame Apple for the failings of the US Patent system!

We should all make up metaphors that don't fit, make sense, or are grammatically coherent. Here's mine.

People installing linux in a mac "is" like taking a linux user to a social engagement.

F

Comment

Working...
                    X