Running Wayland: It Works, But A Lot Of Work Remains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    Yes but the point is someone who says, "Let me try out this Ubuntu stuff" will download 12.04, install it, experience an absolute catastrophe of a disaster, and then scratch Linux off the list for the next 10 years.
    Then the fault lies entirely with Ubuntu and not the software developers. They don't dictate what ships with what.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
      I am not saying you personally try to get people on linux. But I don't think you are against the idea of linux having a larger marketshare (think more developers involved -> maybe less bugs??). But it's a chicken and egg problem: to have a larger marketshare you need less bugs in the first place and to be more user friendly. So, instead of having a system that is 95% good and throwing it away to start from scratch (tell me how many times has this happened in linux? Everybody starts from scratch and thinks this new design is the shit while the previous ones are shit) like it's happening now with x and wayland, I say fuck wayland just improve x.

Another example, we had compiz 0.8 written in C. The developer rewritten it for C++. Of course, for a couple of versions it's shit (12.04 being a shitty standout). What was so wrong about keeping it in C and improving it from there? It was 95% ok, but nooooo we have to start again...and then again..and then again. Linux could take over a larger marketshare, but the devs jump to do a thing that already worked from scratch, they get all the media attention(ohhh look wayland, I'm cumming!), and it's never good enough for the real market. And when they'll release it we won't see an improvement, in fact most likely we will have problems...and then we will start from scratch once again, this time we'll do it right!
      The new c++ version of compiz is not considered stable, at least if you not use the default unity set up. According to upstream you should use the 0.8.8 version if you run outside this user-case as I understand it. I get the impression that most of the distributions who is shipping compiz ship 0.8 series.++

Comment

Never rewrite from scratch my friend...never. All that code you consider crap actually has a lot of bugfixes, the new code has a new array of problems and most likely will also repeat some bugs from the past....
        When the problem itself has changed or limitations of the current approach block further development is is often imperative to write from scratch. Don't let this get in the way of your trolling though. Change==bad, new stuff is always the wrong approach, blah blah blah.

Comment

In fact you sound like you have no experience : http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articl...000000069.html

Never rewrite from scratch my friend...never. All that code you consider crap actually has a lot of bugfixes, the new code has a new array of problems and most likely will also repeat some bugs from the past....
          I have read this article already, but it has absolutely no relevance to the case of Wayland.
          The article talks about rewriting the SAME software from scratch, Wayland is a very DIFFERENT thing altogether.
          Bugfixes in Xorg don't apply to Wayland because they are fundamentally different architectures..
          how the hell am I supposed to explain that to you over and over again?

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
            how the hell am I supposed to explain that to you over and over again?
            Why the hell are you trying?

1) Click user's name.
            2) Click Add to Ignore List on the left-hand pane.
            3) Click confirmation button.
            4) Go use your new found free time to nail your better half.

Comment

Ubuntu 12.04 that will get on more computers that usual if we listen to Mr. Shuttleworth uses 0.9.something. And 11.10 also used 0.9.something if I'm not mistaken.
              If you use Unity you should use 0.9.x as I understand it. Ubuntu is tailored to Unity uppermost, as compiz 0.9.x is to unity. If your user-case is different you can use it but should expect bugs.
              Last edited by Akka; 15 August 2012, 03:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X