Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Wayland: It Works, But A Lot Of Work Remains

Phoronix: Running Wayland: It Works, But A Lot Of Work Remains

Following the news shared today that Ubuntu's delayed their Wayland System Compositor adoption from Ubuntu 12.10 to at least Ubuntu 13.04 there was the more positive news that there's an updated third-party spin of an Ubuntu derivative running Wayland. This article has some more information on that new "RebeccaBlack OS" release along with screenshots that provide a glimpse of where the Wayland adoption is at today.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's scary that one of the main Wayland experimenting distros put out there is a Rebecca Black themed OS ;_;

Still it's interesting to see where it's at, nice overview Micheal.

Comment

Well call me Lucy, we're ready to pop! Slap a version number on that Bitch and send her to the masses! Reeeeaaady for prime time!

Comment

This is a bad time to push Wayland. Valve is trying to port games, and Windows 8 is going to alienate users (who won't have a stable OS to move to due to Wayland). Obviously Wayland won't be ready to replace X for quite some time. I see the advantages, but it needs to be an extremely smooth transition or it will cause more problems than it solves.

Comment

It doesn't seem like it's authors think that it's very ready as well, so that's good.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
            Yep it's shit. I can see the future. We'll have this shit force down our throats, a half-assed piece of software full of bugs, and it'll be 3 more ubuntu versions before it's anything near usable. No thanx, I'll stick to X. It's been here for so long we know it's good. No need to change for the sake of change. Dammit fix the already many bugs in ubuntu, stop adding shit with new piles of bugs in it!
            Though I think it needs at least another year before it's usable, there's a lot of reasons X needs to be replaced, and one reason is that wayland is a much better system. Ubuntu probably should be delaying this at least till the release after the next LTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
              Though I think it needs at least another year before it's usable, there's a lot of reasons X needs to be replaced, and one reason is that wayland is a much better system. Ubuntu probably should be delaying this at least till the release after the next LTS.
              Betamax was better than VHS ....

Comment

Jesus, and I thought people here were emotionally attached to OpenGL.

Really, are the X11 gnomes coming to your guys' houses and blowing you in the middle of the night if you promise to never use another low-level windowing API?

Yeah, Wayland has a ways to go. The people in charge of it know that. The people in charge of X.org know it too. Largely because those two groups are comprised of many of the same people.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                  Betamax was better than VHS ....
                  Thankfully the open source community isn't so commercially bound; betamax didn't fail because it was better.

Comment

Go Wayland Go!

For those of you belittling other developers' incredible efforts, I would like to see YOUR damn display server. Oh wait...

'Nuff said.

Comment

Working...
                    X