Running Wayland: It Works, But A Lot Of Work Remains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
    Jesus, and I thought people here were emotionally attached to OpenGL.

Really, are the X11 gnomes coming to your guys' houses and blowing you in the middle of the night if you promise to never use another low-level windowing API?
    Yeah. They're also baking us cookies and pies.

Comment

Now if you clicked the above video, here's a page break so you can get a beer to preserve your sanity
      LOL. Do US teenagers actually enjoy listening to this auto-tuned crap?

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
        Keep in mind that this is just an early technology demo; this stuff isn't going to be forced down our throats just yet. And when it is, the end user (hopefully) won't notice any negative side effects. Remember that X applications run atop xwayland faster than on the native x-server.
        If they run faster, that's good.

I just hope that down the road they won't drop xWayland....that will a big no no.

Comment

Really, are the X11 gnomes coming to your guys' houses and blowing you in the middle of the night if you promise to never use another low-level windowing API?

Yeah, Wayland has a ways to go. The people in charge of it know that. The people in charge of X.org know it too. Largely because those two groups are comprised of many of the same people.
          Sounds awesome.

Call me when it's ready yawn

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
            If they run faster, that's good.

I just hope that down the road they won't drop xWayland....that will a big no no.
            Why not?
            Xwayland may be needed initially (because some apps make X calls).
            But down the road, almost all applications will run fine without X, I guess.

Comment

Yeah, Wayland has a ways to go. The people in charge of it know that. The people in charge of X.org know it too. Largely because those two groups are comprised of many of the same people.
              ...from the guy who gets blown by Ballmer every night.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Why not?
                Xwayland may be needed initially (because some apps make X calls).
                But down the road, almost all applications will run fine without X, I guess.
                There you go !!!! S**T all over

Imagine that if some "old" games make X calls....if xWayland is discontinued ( and IT WILL BE DISCONTINUED) those games won't run

So, i'm supposed to do what if i still like, like many do, play those games ?!? Use WINE to play their Windows versions ?!?

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                  There you go !!!! S**T all over

Imagine that if some "old" games make X calls....if xWayland is discontinued ( and IT WILL BE DISCONTINUED) those games won't run

So, i'm supposed to do what if i still like, like many do, play those games ?!? Use WINE to play their Windows versions ?!?
                  It'll likely be similar to the current disaster we have when trying to play id Software games with PulseAudio.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                    Yep it's shit. I can see the future. We'll have this shit force down our throats, a half-assed piece of software full of bugs, and it'll be 3 more ubuntu versions before it's anything near usable. No thanx, I'll stick to X. It's been here for so long we know it's good. No need to change for the sake of change. Dammit fix the already many bugs in ubuntu, stop adding shit with new piles of bugs in it!
                    So what you're actually saying is, "I don't care if everything comes crashing down in the future and we're all forced to Windows! I want it to work today! Screw tomorrow!"

The reason people are pouring so much effort into Wayland isn't because they want fancy new features. They're doing it, because they have enough foresight, to know that X is becoming harder and harder to maintain and when the time comes that it is simply to cluttered to keep up the technology trend anymore, they want to have other options.

But, don't worry, if you like things to work, you can stick with the releases that will be using X until Wayland is good and ready. Hell, you don't even have to change to another distro, just stick with whatever is running on your PC right now.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                      ...from the guy who gets blown by Ballmer every night.
                      I dunno. I'd be afraid he'd remember my relationship with Google halfway through and grind his teeth right through my junk. Then throw a chair at me.

Comment

Working...
                      X