Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Delays Wayland System Compositor

Phoronix: Ubuntu Delays Wayland System Compositor

Ubuntu 12.10 will not be shipping with a Wayland-based system compositor as was once hoped for, but the experimental system compositor can be enabled from a PPA in a very primitive state.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wayland is in the repository of Ubuntu 12.10 but not included by default in the distribution.
    You can install it, but it is pretty useless.

It would work much better if they used the new Weston 0.95, but they don't because it requires newer versions of dependencies and they don't want to upgrade to a new version of Mesa.

I guess by 13.04, it will be much more useful.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Wayland is in the repository of Ubuntu 12.10 but not included by default in the distribution.
      You can install it, but it is pretty useless.

It would work much better if they used the new Weston 0.95, but they don't because it requires newer versions of dependencies and they don't want to upgrade to a new version of Mesa.

I guess by 13.04, it will be much more useful.
      This is probably because the PPA doesn't even have the toolkits built for Wayland...

Comment

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
        This is probably because the PPA doesn't even have the toolkits built for Wayland...
        Well there was a problem with having both the Wayland and X backend enabled at the same time in the GTK toolkit.

Darxius documented it:

Comment

great articles and all, and phoronix is one of my goto sites for uptodate news and opinions .. however i have to say i'm kinda getting annoyed by the whole "yeah i told you so" attitude popping up on every other article. A "as previously mentioned in the article <articlelink>" will suffice .. makes it easier for us to esteem the author if the author doesn't esteem himself cause while i was reading the article i was thinking to myself "haha, Michael said this when they discussed their 'ambitious' plans" ..

Comment

Working...
          X