Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Release Shake-Up: Mesa 8.1 Is Now Mesa 9.0

Phoronix: Mesa Release Shake-Up: Mesa 8.1 Is Now Mesa 9.0

Well, there isn't a major Mesa release happening this month as was originally planned. There also isn't going to be a Mesa 8.1 release. Instead, Mesa 9.0 will be released in September...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now it looks like we're getting there a release early, albeit they still need to catch-up on OpenGL 3.2/3.3 and OpenGL 4.0/4.1/4.2/4.3 and GL ES 3.0 before being caught up with the leading proprietary drivers and upstream Khronos specifications.
    PUUUUHLEEEEESEEEE stop stating this EVERY TIME YOU POST AN ARTICLE ON OpenGL version support. It's getting really tiring.

Comment

So what was wrong with calling the release that enables OpenGL 3.1 Mesa 8.1? I expected Mesa 9.0 would be the one with OpenGL 4.0 and Mesa 10.0 the one with OpenGL 5.0. Are they trying to compete with DirectX on who has the biggest version number?

Comment

Originally posted by Ansla View Post
        So what was wrong with calling the release that enables OpenGL 3.1 Mesa 8.1? I expected Mesa 9.0 would be the one with OpenGL 4.0 and Mesa 10.0 the one with OpenGL 5.0. Are they trying to compete with DirectX on who has the biggest version number?
        Numbers don't mean much anyway. They could have named it Mesa 0xB16B00B5.

Features is where its at.

Comment

Will it land into Ubuntu 12.10?

Comment

89c51: "Numbers don't mean much anyway. They could have named it Mesa 0xB16B00B5"

LOL

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              Numbers don't mean much anyway. They could have named it Mesa 0xB16B00B5.

Features is where its at.
              Microsoft might have a copyright for that number... Anyway, for mesa the numbers DO mean something important as the major only increments when a new OpenGL version is implemented.

Comment

Originally posted by Ansla View Post
                Well Mesa 4 added OpenGL 1.3 support, 5 was OpenGL 1.4 support, 6 was OpenGL 1.5 support, 7 was OpenGL 2.1 support, 8 was OpenGL 3 support. By that reasoning it makes sense that 9 would be 3.1.

Comment

True, in that context it makes sense. I didn't use mesa before version 6 so I had no idea this was going on for so long. And since version 6 it just happened they bumped it for 2.x and 3.0.

Comment

Version number bumping has become very popular lately.
                    Firefox used to stand for years on 1.x/2.x versions, lately they've been running a major version what seems like every month.
                    Linux kernel took the major jump from 2.x to 3.x after sitting on 2.6.x for something like 8 years.
                    MS used to slowly increment their 3.x wondoze, then their 4.x, now suddenly they're going from 5 to 6 (visturd), 7, 8 in a matter of no time.

I think its because stoopid people associate big number jumps with dramatic changes. Not sure why they feel this way.

Comment

Working...
                    X